Why become a member? ×

Calling all soul bass players!

stefBclef

Hello amigos

I have recently agreed to play bass in a soul / rnb style project. Now this is not my type of music at all but I am trying to take this "musician" thing to the next level, and make a bit of money out of it...hired gun stylee.

So, can anyone give me any advice about playing soul bass?

Here is an e.g. of the type of music I am on about.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6HXk8PdrAU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6HXk8PdrAU[/url]

From listening it seems like:

1. Less is more
2. Less is more
3. A five stringer or hipshot may be useful.

Can anyone recommend some soul music that I should listen to to get my groove juices flowing? Famous players etc?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
Stef

Listen to Motown - James Jamerson and Bob Babbit - and Stax - Duck Dunn. Tend to favour the Motown guys myself. Less is very much more but it's also critical just how you play that 'less'.

It may not be your thing now but you'll get addicted (if the rest of the band are any good) as soul played properly is superb but it (like blues) is often played by bands that can - not bands that want to.

Not quite the same but a little more interesting to learn from, Incognito, Brand New Heavies etc.

Consider flats strings, also the use of harmony notes in place of roots, esp minor 3rd (if its a minor chord) and also let the snare 'breathe' more often, ie leave gaps on 2 and 4.

Great thing to do, I've come the same route for the same reasons from a blues/rock background via funk. Very satisfying to play, as long as the rest of the band allow the same space as you do and can groove. (I often play with a keys player who fills EVERY gap. Frustrating!)

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1342621270' post='1738023']
Listen to Motown - James Jamerson and Bob Babbit - and Stax - Duck Dunn. Tend to favour the Motown guys myself. Less is very much more but it's also critical just how you play that 'less'.

[/quote]

Thanks. I was introduced to Jamerson's playing through Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On"....absolutely stunning playing from start to finish. But I haven't really listened to any other Motown artists - who would you recommend?

If that's your era then more or less anything from the period. The band playing behind these artists was almost exclusively the same bunch of musicians. More from a historic perspective there's a great DVD called Standing In The Shadow Of Motown which features the surviving musicians and is an excellent watch and an object lesson in groove.

Also, go with flats, as suggested. As soon as you get the right groove the whole thing comes together.

They're not Motown artists, but Isaac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield, Bobby Womack circa late 60's - mid 70's period are worth having a listen.

Also try some Minnie Riperton (Les Fleurs Anthology is worth checking out) for some chilled out soul or Millie Jackson for something a bit more feisty.

More modern (neo-soul) stuff like D'Angelo, Maxwell, Angie Stone, Raphael Saadiq or Erykah Badu would be well worth a listen too & +1 for the Brand New Heavies - they have a new on-line instrumental album: Dunk Your Trunk which has some very nice subtle playing from Andrew 'Love' Levy

If you're into the modern stuff another +1 for Badu and D'angelo (Pino + Charlie Hunter, even if he's not a "real" bass player).
The groove is immense.
You don't NEED flats, but with covers it gets you a lot closer to the original tone.
5 string could be useful.

Thanks all, i'll have a listen to some of those artists. I remember hearing an Erykah Badu album once and loving it so i look forward to checking her stuff out.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1342622620' post='1738047']
If that's your era then more or less anything from the period. The band playing behind these artists was almost exclusively the same bunch of musicians. More from a historic perspective there's a great DVD called Standing In The Shadow Of Motown which features the surviving musicians and is an excellent watch and an object lesson in groove.

Also, go with flats, as suggested. As soon as you get the right groove the whole thing comes together.
[/quote]

I didn't realise there was a DVD of that. I bought the book version although I have to admit I haven't dedicated much time to it at all so I guess now is my chance!

Yes I already have flats on my P and I play reggae so finding the right tone shouldn't be too much of a problem. Right, time for some transcribing!

Whilst I would encourage anyone and everyone who's ever held a bass to listen to James Jamerson, I don't think you'll greatly benefit from shedding too hard with your Jamerson parts in relation to what you're trying to aim for here.

This is essentially what gets classified as 'neo-soul', and I would strongly recommend listening to Pino Palladino's bass playing with Erykah Badu, D'Angelo, Roy Hargrove and Bilal... there are plenty of others too. Another guy would be Adam Blackstone. Here he is in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=1GcWhIb7Hpw

What kind of soul music? There are a lot of styles and you won't get far with a 60's Stax bass line in an Angie Stone type song.

I'd listen to Jamerson but I wouldn't try to play like him. Nate Watts with Stevie Wonder is a master class, but for the rest of us less really is more.

Plough through the Funk and Groove thread. That covers most bases.