Why become a member? ×

I made an impedance buffer (fuzz pedal content)

Toasted

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my first design tested (thanks Nick!) and that test came back positive, the reviewer said to me:

[i]it does the job well for me, the wooly mammoth now sounding good when i run the vmj with u-retro into it.[/i]

I've also put alot of work into making this as small as I can, and although it now takes 3 x longer to build one, it's in a L53 X W38 X H31 enclosure:

I've really enjoyed this project, it's given me a great deal of insight.

Haunting Mids fuzz is really great. I can't believe that they're going on ebay for $500 now, when they were only built in 2007 at $101 a pop.

I think I will sell them. It's something that noone else has done yet, and there's quite a bit of my intellectual property and a great deal of collective wisdom in it. It'll help alot of bassists as a tool, open up the option to get better sounds from more dirt boxes. I was thinking about charging something like £50 / $100USD.

[quote name='Toasted' post='218783' date='Jun 14 2008, 12:07 PM']Haunting Mids fuzz is really great. I can't believe that they're going on ebay for $500 now, when they were only built in 2007 at $101 a pop.

I think I will sell them. It's something that noone else has done yet, and there's quite a bit of my intellectual property and a great deal of collective wisdom in it. It'll help alot of bassists as a tool, open up the option to get better sounds from more dirt boxes. I was thinking about charging something like £50 / $100USD.[/quote]

Considering time and materials £50 sounds a reasonable price. Best of luck!

Is your circuit completely original? Did you get the circuit idea from someone/somewhere?

[quote name='Toasted' post='218920' date='Jun 14 2008, 05:50 PM']My idea is nothing "new" but it's the first time it's ever been used in this application. It, as everything in pedal form owes some debt to Jack Orman.[/quote]

If your pedal is inspired by Jack Orman's work you may want to be extra-clear about it (with a note on the back of the box?).

Jack is (understandably IMO) quite sensitive about the fact that credit should be given to his work if it is used commercially.

Probably nothing will happen if you don’t but just in case...

As ever, thanks for the advice - I like the way you're challenging how I'm thinking. The idea is nothing new, I don't even think Jack Orman could lay claim to it, especially when used in a stand-alone stompbox version. The point that I'm very badly trying to make, is that there's only really one way to raise the impedance of a guitar signal, and that's the way my box does it.

The manual I've written credits Jack Orman with the spark that lit this idea up for me, I've got all my bases covered.

If anyone would like me to make them one of these, please drop me a PM.

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Toasted' post='219044' date='Jun 14 2008, 11:34 PM']As ever, thanks for the advice - I like the way you're challenging how I'm thinking. The idea is nothing new, I don't even think Jack Orman could lay claim to it, especially when used in a stand-alone stompbox version. The point that I'm very badly trying to make, is that there's only really one way to raise the impedance of a guitar signal, and that's the way my box does it.

The manual I've written credits Jack Orman with the spark that lit this idea up for me, I've got all my bases covered.

If anyone would like me to make them one of these, please drop me a PM.[/quote]

You are welcome. I didn't really wanted to challenge your way of thinking :) It was just a suggestion - I didn't want you to get into any trouble :huh:

From what you just said, I suspect your circuit is not as close to Jack Orman's work as I though.

Anyway... best of luck with the selling of your impedance box. I don't need one but I will tell the bass players I know that you make one.

[quote name='rmorris' post='219270' date='Jun 15 2008, 04:15 PM']I understand that you might not want to say but I'm wondering if you've added only resistive impedance or also inductive impedance to more closely model a Hi-Z pickup ?[/quote]

I think Toasted answered to this :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='219044' date='Jun 14 2008, 11:34 PM'](...) there's only really one way to raise the impedance of a guitar signal, and that's the way my box does it.(...)[/quote]

Edited by Silent Fly

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='219277' date='Jun 15 2008, 04:26 PM']I think Toasted answered to this :)[/quote]

well sort of. I was just thinking in more detail given that the impedance vector will affect freq. / phase response .

And I was wondering if a trimpot or similar to vary the impedance would be of significant benefit.