Why become a member? ×

Mike Pope onboard preamp - flexcore

EBS_freak

Not at all - I don't think Fodera are all that... what with their sanding marks under the lacquer... I'm just looking at ways of pimping up an old bass with something different than another East, Aguilar, Bartolini etc...

I can't see anything unseating me from my GBs.

Edited by EBS_freak

I have one that will shortly be going in my Shuker SC..! I'll give you a shout when it's in and maybe arrange for some sound samples.
On the surface, they look great but until it's in, you never know how it'll fit with the bass.
What's the bass you're thinking of putting it in?

EBS, I wouldn't know which would work better but I'd putt in your number 1 bass and see if you like it. They do look really easy to install (as Roger said) so you could have it in and out without too much pain. It sounds like once it's in, it'll stay there!

Roger, what pickups are in your Presentation? I have a set of Delano SBCs in my bass but the slap sound doesn't really come through as I'd like it too. I'm kind of hoping the Flexcore will bring it out a bit. Either that or I may swap them out for some Nordy duals or Aeros Duals..!

• 2 weeks later...

I had tried this preamp on two basses: a N. Zaganin (brazilian custom shop) and an Ibanez BTB1306E. Both have Bartolini pickups and this combination works perfect!! The Ibanez had Bartolini preamp and the Flexcore is much better. The other one had Aguilar and my teacher replaced it for the Flexcore, and like it better... I didn't tried that bass with the Aguie, but I like it so much with the Flexcore... Great preamp, easy to install and lots of great tones and versatility!!

• 1 month later...

So after a few teething problems I've finally managed to get the preamp into the bass and...well it's absolutely fantastic!! Really versatile and very musical ranges on the boost/cut frequencies.
I opted for the 2.1 with a stacked volume/passive tone; blend; bass; stacked hi & low mids & treble pots. I also got an active passive switch, a single/dual coil switch and a kill switch.
Starting from flat, you have a great sound when switched on and it's easy to dial in a great slap tone, a warm smooth tone for the ballads or get that Motown thump with the help of the passive tone. I also noted that the passive tone on this has a very smooth roll-off and seems to leave a little more life in the sound when wound all the way back...but maybe that's just my ears!

Although I liked the transparent nature of the Shuker preamp, this adds a bit of 'sparkle' to the flat sound which to my ears is great.
I'd certainly recommend this preamp to anyone looking to upgrade an active bass. On top of that, Mike is a top guy and was majorly helpful.
I'd also concur with 'luccabf', this is super easy to install with almost no soldering at all...or none in my case :)

• Like 1