Why become a member? ×

Precision V String Spacing

Matt P

i'm hoping someone can help me here, i'm trying to find out what the string spacing at the bridge is for the Fender Precision V and Google hasn't been much use. I heard a guy play one at a gig yesterday and it sounded just like my beloved 77 but with a great low b as a bonus. i'm Gas'ing for a better 5 string and have been toying with the idea of a P/MM pickup combination on a Jag body with either a jazz v or a stingray 5 neck (depending what comes up in the classifieds here). the pickup combo will be very much like the Pingray that Ou7shined built but on a jag body in sonic blue with tortie scratchplate. with fender and musicman usa pickups most likely (again it depends what appears in the classifieds)

if it all looks too expensive or complex then i'll probably just wait for a sandberg PM/VM 5 to come up secondhand. (the build will be mostly secondhand parts with the probable exception of the body)

Thanks

Matt

Try one.

I think a Fender is 19mm. That's fine for me on a 4 string.

My Lull PJ 5 is 18.5mm, but if you move your thumb as you play across the strings the spacing shouldn't matter.

Lakland's are a very good (the best IMO) combination of a Fender and Musicman.

Edited by chris_b

the spacing doesn't really matter to me when playing as i find i can adjust pretty easily, i just want to make sure that both the pickups line up properly with the strings.

i've got my eye on a number of possible basses but i really want a good precision tone, the added musicman pickup would be a bonus and hopefully quell the nagging thought that i really want a stingray as well. I also like the idea of owning something unique, i've never seen a 5 string jaguar with a p/mm pickup combination.

Matt

Has no-one got a precision 5 string they could stick a ruler over? i just want to know if the spacing is close to the stingray 5 so the strings will run properly over the polepieces, then i can start the search for all the bits for my build.
if the spacing is different to the stingray (more than 1/2 a millimeter string to string) i'll start looking at buying something from the classifieds. (sandberg is the current favorite)

Thanks in advance

Matt

• 1 month later...

This thread from the fender forum might help - http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=52682

The Precision V uses the standard HMV bridge which allows adjustable spacing from 19mm to about 22mm.

String spacing at the bridge on a Stingray 5 is 17.5mm so the polepieces of a regular MM 5 pickup won't line up properly using the HMV bridge.

However, a soapbar type like Bartolini or EMG should work fine.