Why become a member? ×

NBD Ibby content

ezbass

I've been playing my recent purchase of an Ibanez GWB35 pretty exclusively since I bought it and have been loving it. It's been a while since I've had a fiver and this bass has got me back into it big time. So when I wandered into a local music store after its post riot refit I gave the Ibby SR505 they had hanging up a whirl as I've gotten on the GW's neck quite nicely and it is much the same spec dimension wise, big mistake as I liked it quite a lot. So followed the usual checking out of prices and they weren't too far off the mark and some negotiation would have brought it into line with others out there I reckon. I then checked out a few opinons about here in our esteemed pages, all good. I also tried out one of the more expensive premiums the next day with Nordstrands, but preferred the tone of the cheaper Barts, all looking good for a trip back to the original shop. However, there was on evilbay fairly locally, with a reasonable start price, so I thought I'd hang fire and see what that went for. Anyway I won it about an hour and a half ago for what I think is a fine price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=330760307990&nma=true&rt=nc&si=VOZhFgXuaE3UFGPl6hLEUHWkCpM%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_922 .

I'll post some of my own pics and more detailed opinion when I get it home, hopefully tomorrow. Currently I'm a happy camper :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1342282113' post='1732806']
Welcome to the SR505 club. :)
[/quote]Your various posts about yours were very useful in that they confirmed my own findings and gave a long term user's perspective.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1342283033' post='1732815']Not everyone likes them.
[/quote]I've always been quite traditional in my bass choices (Leo's designs or close derivatives) but I've been very impressed with my Ibby fretless and having a fretted equivalent just seemed a natural extension. I don't really understand why they haven't found much favour beyond metal players, perhaps it's associated to their success in the pointy metal orientated guitar arena?

Just confirmed tomorrow's pick up, quite excited :)

Edited by ezbass

So I got it home today and I'm pretty pleased. It's former owner was a young metal player so there a few pick dings and a shiny upper bout. Some 0000 steel wool has taken the finish back nicely and I'll touch in the dings. Sounds pretty good but the strings need replacing to make a full judgement as the coating has been shredded by some aggresive pick action, so I need to get some of those in. It's very light but on strap balance is marvellous and the neck plays very nicely, very similar to my GWB35 which was what drew me to this model in the first place. Photos to follow as the camera battery has died and is being recharged.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1342304370' post='1733146']
I don't really understand why they haven't found much favour beyond metal players, perhaps it's associated to their success in the pointy metal orientated guitar arena?
[/quote]

I think that's exactly what's happened with the brand.
Certainly looking at their 'artist' list, it seems to consist mostly of very stern faced gentlemen who need a damn good haircut dontcha know... ;)

Pics as promised. The ding on the upper bout I'm going to have a go at steaming out and then touching up with a repair pen; watch this space.

[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/P1080194.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/P1080195.jpg[/IMG]

I've restrung it and will give it a good blast tomorrow when the neighbours are out :)

OK sound report time. On the whole the pickups seem to have a more aggressive tone, with more snarl than the pickups in my Sandberg (this is the bass it will probably replace for a covers gigging bass where I'm not using fretless) which are more clear and crystalline sounding to my ears. TBH I really that slightly raw edge. The neck p/up pulls off an absolute belting P bass tone when soloed with a little bass cut, tiny mid boost (with the toggle towards the bridge) and little extra treble, really authentic, Town Called Malice sounded spot on. The bridge p/up soloed reminded of a Wal tone, quite Mick Karn, this was with a little bass boost, mid in the same position as previous and the treble backed off a touch. In these soloed positions the pre amp seems very powerful and only small amounts of boost or cut are needed. The blend is a little bland to my ears and there's obviously a bit of phase cancellation which doesn't help this. This is where more generous helping of the pre amp would help, especially as I imagine this will the p/up selection tonally most appropriate for the band I see me using it in. It's not bad, just a little uninspiring and probably better in a band setting. However, this is also the position I find I like least on most 2 pickup basses, including the 'Berg, with the real fun stuff strongly favouring one p/up or another. This sound test was done through my Phil Jones Cub in a small room and I'm looking forward to putting it through my gig rig in a bigger setting. All in all I reckons it's a keeper not least because of the smooth transition feel wise from my Gary Willis to this. So far I'm still a happy camper.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1342629858' post='1738290']
The phase cancellation can be quite noticeable sometimes.
[/quote]you'd think they'd compensate for that with the active gubbins, but no :( Not just Ibanez of course, really how hard can it be?