Why become a member? ×

Keep my Wem Dominator or sell it?

Christophano

Heya guys,

I thought I would consult with my peers on here before I did anything silly, or potentially silly.

I've just gotten in to a new band after not playing for a year and selling my Mark Bass rig. I've got an old Wem Dominator 45 which I've upgraded a bit and put a new speaker in, but I'm not sure whether it would be loud enough for the new band. It sounds ace, but the more you crank it, the gainier it gets and I need something fairly clean for the new material I'll be playing.

Do you think I should sell it?

or

Buy a 4x10 and run that to make it a bit louder?

or

None of the above?

Funds are tight with a new baby just arriving and I can't blast a few hundred quid on something at the minute.

Cheers dudes.

I'd go for 'none of the above'.

Adding a 4x10 isn't going to make it any louder - it'll still be a 45W combo.
It's resale value isn't going to be very high as they weren't hugely expensive when they were released.

I don't really have an answer to your problem other than suggesting you mic up the combo and feed it into the PA system to give you a bit more 'oomph'....

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1342279155' post='1732730']
I'd go for 'none of the above'.

Adding a 4x10 isn't going to make it any louder - it'll still be a 45W combo.
It's resale value isn't going to be very high as they weren't hugely expensive when they were released.

I don't really have an answer to your problem other than suggesting you mic up the combo and feed it into the PA system to give you a bit more 'oomph'....
[/quote]

Had a feeling it would be 'none of the above'.... Although I saw a 25 version go on Ebay for £190 the other day and when I plugged my old 4x10 in to it, it sounded wicked.

It should just be left as a practice amp I think though.

WEM Dominators are nice kit (if you like that sort of thing). Highly prized by some, so if you sell, make sure you get a good price.

Subject to being able to hear yourself on stage, why not invest in a passive DI box to put between your bass and the WEM, and send a copy of the bass signal to the PA? That'll ensure you are heard out front, allow you to keep your beloved amplifier, and only cost you around £20! :)

Funds are tight? New baby? You sure you're not me? :lol:

I bought a Hartke Bass Attack DI/Preamp. I use it for practising at home with headphones (through a mixer) but I can also use it to go straight to a PA. There are lots of similar solutions---Sansamp BDDI, Behringer BDI21, DHA vt1-eq-bass-drive, etc.

If I were you I'd keep the WEM and get one of them.

If you really like using the Wem and you're in the luxury situation of regularly gigging with a pa able to take a bass guitar feed (mine are mostly on backline with a vocal pa) then you don't need to worry unless you can't hear it on stage.

If adding another speaker gives extra woomph and solves that issue then go for that.

If its not a suitable amp for you, buy one that is.

If you like it and can afford to keep it as well, do so.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1342289999' post='1732929']
I bought a Hartke Bass Attack DI/Preamp. I use it for practising at home with headphones (through a mixer) but I can also use it to go straight to a PA. There are lots of similar solutions---Sansamp BDDI, Behringer BDI21, DHA vt1-eq-bass-drive, etc.

[/quote]

This...more or less...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1342289999' post='1732929']
Funds are tight? New baby? You sure you're not me? :lol:

[/quote]

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1342300968' post='1733115']
This...more or less...
[/quote]

And more this. I've got a DHA VT1 EQ Bass Driver, It's the canines nads. Cost me £70/SH off a fellow BC'er, if that's too much, I believe Sansamps' go a bit cheaper and I played through one once and it was v powerful

Edited by billyapple

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I need to keep the Wem as it holds a fair amount of sentimental value.

I've got the B'inger Sansamp GT2 clone, which I think is excellent (for £15)... So might play around with what you guys have said, until I can sort out a power potent rig.

Cheers again.