Why become a member? ×

Schroeder 210PL cab

Wylie

Took delivery recently of this Schroeder 2x10 4-ohm cab.

Build:
I already had a Schroeder 12" light cab, so I was expecting the great build and quality. The screen is twelve-gauge aluminum, the two side handles also are aluminum; corner protectors are plastic. In/out with 1/4" or neutrik.

Speakers:
Two 10" B&C neodymium speakers, a titanium bullet tweeter rated at 200 watts, with dial.

Dimensions and weight:
An amazing 36 pounds (compare a Bag End 2x10 at 70 lbs.). Approx. 21" x 21" x 15". Looks big but easily lifts in and out of the trunk. (Schroeder also makes this cab with Eminence speakers for a 46-lb. cab, somewhat less expensive. Check the Schroeder Cabinets web site for a look and great price.)

Wattage:
RMS 700 watts

Sound:
Unbelievably good. My little Schroeder has a nice punchy bass, just right for the trio (no drums) I play with. With this cab, you feel the lower notes like a benevolent X-ray through your bones, and the mids are nice and fat. No thud in the lower registers, just a deep fat solid tone, and I never have to push it. No blaring in the upper register notes. A very clean, hefty tone. I have never played in a group with a drummer, but I can't imagine this cab would have any problems in a guitar and drums mix.

As always, Jorg Schroeder was great to deal with. I highly recommend this cab.

[attachment=112860:iPhoto Library.jpg]

Edited by tedgilley

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1342112554' post='1729839']
Schroeders are the business, aren`t they? I`ve had many different brands of cab, but the two I`ve had, a 21012L, and my current 410BMF, have been the best cabs I`ve ever had.
[/quote]

Lozz, I recall you mentioned Schroeders another time. This one is a huge step up from the single 12.

tg

I'm running a 410L with a streamliner 600.....As a novice what really amazes me is how the sound changes the more you turn it up!

It just gets better and better with more vol....dosen't help my tinnitus all the same :)

That 210 look like a feather weight...very nice indeed!

Very interesting. I've seen these on the Schroeder website and they tick a few boxes for me, but they're rare beasts over here this side of the pond, and Schroeder have kinda dropped out of sight a bit.

I've always liked the cabs but had some quality problems with them in the past. From what I hear he's sorted the QC now

What amp are you putting through it and does it have the pronounced mid-hump that some of the other Schroeders do?

[quote name='DirkThrust' timestamp='1342129482' post='1730279']
Very interesting. I've seen these on the Schroeder website and they tick a few boxes for me, but they're rare beasts over here this side of the pond, and Schroeder have kinda dropped out of sight a bit.

I've always liked the cabs but had some quality problems with them in the past. From what I hear he's sorted the QC now

What amp are you putting through it and does it have the pronounced mid-hump that some of the other Schroeders do?
[/quote]

I have a Hartke 2500, which puts 250 watts through the cab. I have to be honest here, I've heard the expression 'mid-hump' before, but I don't know what it means. Let me know; I'll help if I can.

tg

[quote name='tedgilley' timestamp='1342183538' post='1731020']
I have to be honest here, I've heard the expression 'mid-hump' before, but I don't know what it means. Let me know; I'll help if I can.

tg
[/quote]

Most of the original small and medium, and to a lesser extent the large Schroeder cabs were voiced with quite a prominent midrange, but not a lot of actual bottom, partly due I guess to the very small box size. Essentially a quart in a pint pot. Whereas a lot of bass cabs have a mid scooped sound, which makes them sound very nice solo but tend to get a bit lost in a band mix.

There was a huge wave of Schroeder hype, mostly originating on TalkBass when the first 1210 and 1212 cabs appeared because people could not believe how loud they got for a small cab, mainly down to the built-in voicing. I guess that was around 2003/4. I've owned a few and while they sounded quite nasal and midrangey solo, but in a band mix, especially competing with too loud guitarists they were absolutely ideal. I sold mine because I was playing less rock and in more sparse band mixes they didn't really sound right.

The latest batch of Schroeders, the BMF and PL are configured more like standard bass cabs with the drivers mounted on the front baffle rather than the angled jobby, like they used to have so i was just wondering if they still had that very midrangey Schroeder sound.

I don't think that explains it any more clearly though :)

Edited by DirkThrust

[quote name='DirkThrust' timestamp='1342187502' post='1731165']
Having re-read your description of the tone in the OP, it sounds like they are voiced more like most other cabs.
[/quote]

No, your explanation was good. This cab definitely has a distinctive, big penetrating bottom--not boomy but dense. I had to take off the EQ because the lower range was overwhelming. At flat EQ, I'm getting good clear tones, and not a lot of difference in the 'presence' of tones, all the way across the board.

Schroeder says this 2x10 can replace most 4x10s, and having also played an Ashdown 4x10, I can say without hesitation that he's right. Pretty amazing.

However, when I consider the sound of my Schroeder 12" cab, yes, there is a midrange hump and less solid bottom. Not so with this one!

tg

Edited by tedgilley