Why become a member? ×

Eden WT550 - opinions?

aldude

Hi Basschatters,

I've got a TC RH450 that I feel like moving on from. I have a 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab (Barefaced :)) so I need a cab that goes down to2.66 ohm or lower

After some research I have singled out the Eden WT550. I was just wondering what people's opinions on this head might be.

From the TC, I often can't get the sound I like. The problem varies but it can bento enough mids or highs usually, and not much warmth. Would the Eden head fix this?

Also the TC is built like a tank. What's the Eden build quality like? I have heard varying reports.

Thanks!

Edit: I play heavy rock stuff generally! With some dusty end widdling!

Edited by aldude

I had a WT550 and it's an excellent amp. Well built, I never had any problems whatsoever with it but I know there were a few reports of problems with the WT800. I thought the EQ on it was the best I've ever used and if you want warmth, it has it in creamy bucketloads. They are heavy buggers though, and that's the only reason I went to Markbass. I still miss my WT550.

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1341658564' post='1722336']
.... I know there were a few reports of problems with the WT800....
[/quote]

I believe the problems were with some of the early WT800 [b]B[/b] models

I had a WT400 traveller plus and this was excellent - warmth, punchy and loud. The WT550 has improved heat dissipation allowing it to go to 2 ohms and 550 watts and they are very similar in sound. I gigged my WT400 on average 6 times a month from 1999 through to 2005 without any issues (I put a Phillips NOS 5751 pre-amp in it which gave fantastic results of clarity and headroom). Great amps. I also had a WT800 but this was much heavier and I preferred the sound of my WT400.

One other thought. I had a RH450 but found this a little lacking - I now have an RH750 and this has far greater 'slam' and 'punch' in the lower register and am very happy with this

Edited by alanbass1

I had a WT550 die after trying to drive a cab that had a mis-wired crossover in it. The techie that repaired the amp commented on the build quality, the good layout of the components, and the standard of components compared with most bass amps she repairs. Two blown output transistors, and £60 repair. I'm not that confident that some other bass amps would have been repairable, or have been so easy to repair. The protection fuse stopped all four transistors going apparently.

The EQ section is fantastic, and the amp is used with a Barefaced Super Twelve T, the two working together really well. The only other amp that beats if for sound that I've heard is the Genz Benz Streamliner 900, but I don't think it will handle impedance values below 4 Ohms.