Why become a member? ×

GB Shuttlemax 9.2 - First real test

Musicman20

[left]Shuttlemax 9.2 – First outing[/left]

[left]Ok, so in-between moving twice, starting a new job, and settling in to a new city, I managed to:[/left]

[left]A – Pickup an absolutely immaculate second hand Genz Shuttlemax 9.2[/left]
[left]B – Start a new project (all of our own music) with a guitarist who has very similar tastes to me[/left]
[left]C – Decide that I don’t currently have time for any type of covers/function band because work is very busy and I’m trying to attempt to spend more time in the gym (this is some kind of revelation to me. I used to hate the gym).[/left]

[left]Last night, I had the chance to REALLY get to know the Shuttlemax 9.2.[/left]

[left]The practice room brought through a large, possibly 2x15, (definitely no tweeter and just a small port on the rear) Hiwatt bass cab. [/left]

[left]Great, at least its a fairly large cabinet.[/left]

[left]So, firstly, its a good job I took a speakon to quarter inch speaker cable, otherwise, we would have had problems. [/left]

[left]Plugged the Max 9.2 in, used a Stingray 4 H, with EB Group III flats (and the EQ was pretty much untouched on the bass).[/left]

[left]The first thing I noticed was just how punchy this amp is. Incredibly mid definition. I used the FET channel first with a bit of low mid boost at almost the lowest frequency available on the parametric EQ. Slightly boosted the treble to compensate for flats.[/left]

[left]This channel will give you everything you put and virtually NO colour. It can, I suppose, seem almost sterile as it is SO clean. Every bit of finger noise etc, goes through. If you fluff up, its much more obvious. The EQ is fantastic. [/left]

[left]The TUBE channel gives you a little more warmth and will quite easily grit up (push the gain button, raise the gain level high and the channel volume down to compensate). This enables a perfect gritty rock tone. I used the hi freq. filter and added a little more high end for more ‘cut’ (I wouldn’t have probably done this with nickel rounds) and it was just right.[/left]

[left]I’m still learning about the amp, as it has so much versatility, but it very much takes me back to the Trace 400SMX I used to own on the FET channel, but cleaner, more powerful, more versatile, more features, and ridiculously light and small.[/left]

[left]These latest micro/lightweight amps really have pushed the boundaries. I admit, the bit Orange tube amp I have does have a certain girth to the tone, but I think part of that is the Orange voicing. I can’t see how anyone can say the larger/heavier amps have ‘bigger tone/more authority, especially when its a solid state or hybrid.[/left]

[left]I still look at other amps. Heck, I still want another Markbass amp again, but I don’t see the point at the moment. The only amps they make that catch my eye still are the LM3 and the TTE500. Now the F1/500 is no longer around, I think they need another amp with something new about it, (and not just the Big Bang).[/left]

[left]I was also tempted by the Gallien micros, especially the MB800, but I very much doubt it can compete with the Shuttlemax 9.2 for the customer support, versatility, build quality, etc. [/left]

[left]I must admit, I enjoy have the pure FET channel of the Max 9.2, but I can see why I also started to turn to warmer/tube sounding gear. Next to the TC RH750, its like the 750 adds its own character and warmth, (personally I like both types of tone).[/left]

Great reading! I look forward to getting to hear one of these and a Streamliner eventually. I have to say, after reviewing the MB800 for iGuitar Mag, I was sold without wanting to wait it out for the GB's. I have to say it really surprised me how good it sounded. However, I think you're probably right when it comes to flexibility. The Shuttle has a wider EQ selection for different tones and flexibility, that's for sure. The GK has 'that sound' about it and I'm not sure what the 'flat' settings of the EQ are yet.

I have to say that I was won over also by it being 1u high! it sits nicely in a rack case with my distortion preamp etc! Volume wise, like the Shuttle, I reckon they are both stupidly loud :)

Thank you for the review!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341596662' post='1721673']
You know what I think I prefer the FET on my 3.0 to the tube on my 6.0 :o
[/quote]

I agree the FET channel has a really crisp sheen tone. Its brilliant for something like a Musicman which has so much character that you want to keep the bass as it is.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1341597325' post='1721689']
Great reading! I look forward to getting to hear one of these and a Streamliner eventually. I have to say, after reviewing the MB800 for iGuitar Mag, I was sold without wanting to wait it out for the GB's. I have to say it really surprised me how good it sounded. However, I think you're probably right when it comes to flexibility. The Shuttle has a wider EQ selection for different tones and flexibility, that's for sure. The GK has 'that sound' about it and I'm not sure what the 'flat' settings of the EQ are yet.

I have to say that I was won over also by it being 1u high! it sits nicely in a rack case with my distortion preamp etc! Volume wise, like the Shuttle, I reckon they are both stupidly loud :)

Thank you for the review!
[/quote]

I'd still like an MB800, its a total killer package! Thanks, feel free to move to reviews eventually. I'd like to do a video comparison to the Streamliner at some point.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341676510' post='1722658']
Is there a way I can run my 3.0 through my 6.0 and miss out the valve?
[/quote]

Yep, pretty sure you can. You can use the 'poweramp' of the 6.0 on its own and Im sure that misses out the tube and the EQ, so you can use the 3.0 EQ section.

I think the instructions may have the information on this.

As an update, today I got to use the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal with the Max 9.2.

The pedal is fantastic. Absolutely amazing tone from such a small pedal. Its like having an Ampeg but not having to own one or cart it about, (and it wont shut down ;P )

Going from the FET to the FET with the pedal made me realise again just how CLEANNNN the FET channel is. It is so clear and clean it is unreal. No colour at all.

I could almost get the TUBE channel to grit to a level the VT Bass could but it wasn't as coloured or 'Ampeg' as the VT, obviously. But, it proves how versatile the Max 9.2 really is.

It is, in my limited experience with the 9.0 non-Max, a MASSIVE jump in versatility, output and the grit on the Tube channel is brilliant (all the way from a bit of grit to full on grind).

The non max 9.2 is probably a fairer comparison but again the EQ, filter flexibility and two channels makes the 9.2 Max a winner, plus it comes with a very well made heavy duty foot switch.

Earlier on I had my iPhone going through the aux for music, VT pedal into the input, I was driving the tube channel input gain hard and it was not even warm after 3 hours.

Stupidly light as well.