Why become a member? ×

5 strings and some basic reading goes a long way!

As someone who was against 5 string basses and thought reading was for jazzers and pit work until a couple of years ago Im finding both the extra string and the basic reading skills I have learnt in the last 18 months are paying dividends now, I have a few dep gigs with a function band and I'm motoring through the tracks I need to learn. The reading is great for nailing the first 8 bars just like the record then I'm using the extra bit of theory that I have innevitably learnt as a side line to jam away nicely once the tune gets going. The best bit however is the ability to change keys at the drop of a hat, most of the tunes I'm working out by ear but I'm purposefully playing them all off the B string (nothing to do with any extended ranges) as they are in different keys to the originals that I'm listening to (we are not having any rehersals at all for the gig on friday and I have 13 new tracks to learn), once I have the bare bones all I need to do is move it up or down into the key that the guitarist has told me its in by email. :)

5 strings and reading is good, I get it now, appologies once more to those I pissed off a few years ago arguing against both of these :)