Why become a member? ×

Ibanez by soundgear/soundgear by Ibanez?????

highwayone

Bought a new Ibanez SRX430 and although I love it so far,the fact it doesn't have Ibanez on the headstock does bug me!! It has sdgr on it which makes it seem like its a poor man's Ibanez!! What is the deal with Ibanez these days? I know it's not a top of the range Ibanez but for £350 I'd expect them to put their name on it!! Anyone know what's going on with these soundgear basses and Ibanez? Right...... Rant over! Cheers

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1341262777' post='1716151']
As far as I am aware all the basses in the Soundgear range have the same 'logo' on the headstock i.e SDGR, then underneath Soundgear by Ibanez.

Even the SR5006E, which is just over £2000 has the same headstock.
[/quote]

Yep - the whole of the Soundgear range has the SDGR logo on it - even the Prestige models.

In fact most of the Ibanez bass range works like that, so BTB is branded "BTB by Ibanez" and ATK is "ATK by Ibanez". And again that includes the top of the range models.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1341265214' post='1716225'][I]t's MOSTLY only their guitars that actually have a big Ibanez logo on for some reason :unsure:[/quote]
On some ranges, perhaps, but many of the guitar lines are treated in the same way as the basses.

Anyway, Ibanez is a brand name, not a manufacturer. If you examine the brand and how Hoshino Gakki has operated since the 80s, the ideas for certain designs/models are conceived in-house but the majority are bought in (AFR/Affirma for example). The "by Ibanez" legend appears to have been adopted simply to assist customers recognising Hoshino products.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1341278039' post='1716378']
Anyway, Ibanez is a brand name, not a manufacturer. If you examine the brand and how Hoshino Gakki has operated since the 80s, the ideas for certain designs/models are conceived in-house but the majority are bought in (AFR/Affirma for example). The "by Ibanez" legend appears to have been adopted simply to assist customers recognising Hoshino products.
[/quote]

That's interesting, I always thought they were a manufacturing company like Fender for example. Something new every day!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1341281185' post='1716385']That's interesting, I always thought they were a manufacturing company like Fender for example.[/quote]
It's very common, in Japan, for retail or distribution companies to own or create brand names, and then to engage manufacturing facilities to build using that name. Hoshino Gakki started out as the import/export division of a bookstore, which branched out into importing guitars, among which Salvador Ibanez from Spain, before buying the Salvador Ibanez brand name. This became Ibanez and, over time, Hoshino has engaged Ida Gakki, Terada (operating the Kanie, Higashiku and Shirakawa facilities), Dyna Gakki, Samick and Fujigen Gakki, to build Ibanez branded guitars. Those are just the main facilities in Japan Hoshino has used.