Why become a member? ×

Twisted Neck - replace?

jonbd

I'm a complete newb at this sort of thing and hoped someone could help answer a question for me. I have a Squier Standard P-Bass Special with a neck thats twisted so I can't get a decent action on it as well as intonation problems etc. Can I just buy a replacement neck and pop it on and everything will be hunky dory? If so, does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement?

Cheers

Jon

Twisted or bowed? One can be corrected with truss rod adjustment, but a twist, which you can see by looking along the neck and see one side is more bowed than the other, is a strip the hardware and bin ob. Or practice defret for someone, so stick it in recycling items. Compatible necks will be easy to find, all depends on how much you want to spend.

Thanks for the advice! It is definately twisted not bowed so looks like its time for a new neck! Was thinking 60-70 quid sort of price for a new neck if thats realistic? I've got a hankering for a Squier VM Jaguar Bass so this would then be my back up!

Yep, sadly twisted necks are not usually worth the time/effort/expense repairing. Chuck it away and get a replacement. I think your £60 - 70 is a reasonable amount for a basic neck, just check the neck pocket contouors to make sure it fits the body properly. Some necks can have squarer ends, some can be more rounded and may not always fit the heel snugly in the neck pocket without a little woodworking.

[quote name='jonbd' timestamp='1341211555' post='1715064']
I've got a hankering for a Squier VM Jaguar Bass so this would then be my back up!
[/quote]
Great choice - the VM Jaguar is a great, great bass for the money. My avatar is my tarted up one (more pics on website). I love it! :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1341246857' post='1715707']
Great choice - the VM Jaguar is a great, great bass for the money. My avatar is my tarted up one (more pics on website). I love it! :)
[/quote]

Nice work!! I'm hoping i've got a nice second hand one sorted out - can't wait!

+1 on the mighty mite neck - slotted straight in on my Affinity P bass with only a bit of shimmage needed. £95-100 should sort it new off the bay easily. If you need to go cheaper, Squier necks come up on here from time to time at anything from £35 upwards. One word of warning if you spot an Affinity neck check the tuner holes - on the two I've had they are smaller diameter posts so you'd need to drill them out if you were fitting standard tuners.

Hi Jon :)

I've done some repairs to my basses in the past, I'll take a look at your bass next time I see you, unless you'll get it sorted before. If it's not twisted very badly, a bit of fret levelling can help, in worse cases a complete refret (plus extra levelling) or defretting, sanding down the fretboard and refretting again. All of the above I have done in the past. But yeah, Mighty Mite necks are quite decent, licensed by Fender, and at their price (usually less than 100 pounds for a finished neck) it may not be worth the effort. Plus, the marketplace here is even better for choice and prices.

That's very kind of you! I think I'm sorted now though. A friend of mine is going to have a look at it and sort it for me hopefully, and i've promised the old neck to someone on here to practice on! Keeping my eyes peeled for a neck and a nice light and giggable amp now!!