Why become a member? ×

Where to put the compressor/limiter

dincz

I recently bought a used channel strip with individual inputs and outputs for each stage so they can be patched in a different order if necessary. This is a simplified version:

I'm wondering about the best position in the chain for the compressor. I rarely use compression as an "effect", but am thinking of using this one with a high threshold and ratio (effectively using it as a limiter to prevent power amp clipping). Would it be best after the EQ or even after the output stage - in which case the compressor's output level control would control the level to the power amp.

I'm comfortable with the technicalities but looking for advice from a player's point of view.

Edited by dincz

Chill, it's only been one evening since you posted, and a Saturday evening at that - a lot of people gig on a Sat night, and I would think at this time of the morning they would be catching up on sleep.

I don't use a compressor so I can't comment. So I didn't :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1340526387' post='1705508']
compressor goes first dont it? The best thing to do is experiment until you get a desirable effect.
[/quote]

I'm not looking for an effect. I just want to avoid an undesirable effect (power amp clipping). If I put the compressor first, then EQ adjustments will change the peak levels going to the power amp. I thought later in the chain would be better if I'm using it as a limiter.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1340525823' post='1705502']
Chill, it's only been one evening since you posted, and a Saturday evening at that - a lot of people gig on a Sat night, and I would think at this time of the morning they would be catching up on sleep.

I don't use a compressor so I can't comment. So I didn't :)
[/quote]

Thanks for your restraint! 90 views and no replies made me wonder if it's my personal hygiene or something :(

Traditional thinking has the compressor before the amp's preamp section (this is where you would have any distortion fx too). If you're looking at the comp to even out the signal as you've said, then in between the instrument and the amp input is where it should go. If anyone is looking to use a comp/limiter as an effect then anything goes, put it where is does what you want it to, have 2 if you want :)

I used to use a compressor (EBS Multicomp) but eventually decided I liked the natural dynamics of my basses and adjust my playing style or use the vol control to govern potential sharp peaks, nothing wrong with comp/limiters, just personal preference. As always YMMV.

Edited by ezbass

Its all about why you are using the compressor/limiter.

If you are looking to fatten the tone up a bit by raising the level of the sustain phase of your bass' ADSR, or evening out the level to aid tracking on an octaver or synth type pedal then earlier in the path is good - but not normally before envelope following effects, since the compressor will change the shape of the ADSR thus changing the 'sweep' of any such envelope followers. Having said that its always worth experimenting to see if you like the result that way round!

If you are intending the device to act as asafety net styel limiter for the rest of your rig, then definitely last in the chain before the (power) amp is bets, that way it will have a chance to help if anything in the chain gives a nasty pop and releases the magic smoke, causing a huge spike to hit the rig.

My compressor is a rackmount, it goes in the fx loop of my amp, and evens out my sound between fx changes and technique changes, it also has a limiter which I keep on 'just in case' and because I like quite a long attack on the compressor so I let the limiter deal with over enthusiastic spikes from slapping too hard.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1340529922' post='1705564']
If you are looking to fatten the tone up a bit[/quote]
No.
[quote]If you are intending the device to act as asafety net styel limiter for the rest of your rig[/quote]
Yes, that was my thinking and thanks for the reply.