Why become a member? ×

Sandberg Seventy Two?

AsterL

Hey guys,

I'm a little confused about something I saw on Thomman earlier today. Was just having a quick gander at some Sandberg basses and I came across this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/sandberg_seventy_two_rd.htm

Its a pretty bass IMO, so I tried to find out more about it. Surprisingly, its not mentioned at all on the Sandberg website, or featured in their 2012 catalogue. Skimming through the picture and videos of the most recent MusikMesse, there was no sight of it at their booth at all. The only place that seems to mention it is the Thomman website.

Has anyone heard of it/know more about this bass, and if possible direct me to some sound samples of it?
I might just be a very poor researcher!

Cheers guys

Presumably it's an exclusive "special" that Sandberg have done for Thomman. Sandberg wouldn't be the first "consumer goods" manufacturer to make a product specifically for one of its most important dealers. Happens all the time in white goods and consumer audio/video.

P

PS. NIce looking bass. If it were in Lake Placid Blue and plain fretless I'd be smitten.

Edited by philw

I've come across a few Sandberg basses that fit this bill, ie one offs or custom jobs that don't appear on their website and only on the occasional retailer's site. Strange looking thing that! Thomann do a striped fretless made by Sandberg I'd like that isn't on Sandbergs' site.

Buy it! And let us know what it's like! :D

Dan

[quote name='AsterL' timestamp='1339702202' post='1693099']

I am really thinking about it! But I'm not likely to drop 700ish quid on a bass i've never heard before. :P
[/quote]
Do it! Haha! My guess would be it sounds like a thumpier, warmer stingray will that gritty growl dialed back.

Dan

One can only hope! I had one of those Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster basses once (similar pickup position to the Sandberg) and that did throw out some thump!

My front pickup on my Stringray HH doesn't throw out as much bass, but that is probably due to the pickup being an inch or so back from that position.

I agree that it looks like a special/limited run model for Thomann. They've done this sort of thing before. Last year the did the Rayman model for Session Music which was basically a Panther body and neck, but with a single humbucker and pickguard like on a Basic.

I think this new model would be a bit too boomy for my liking, but you never know 'til you try!