Why become a member? ×

Double bass pick ups

JoeOverend

I'm just about to try and and hopefully buy a double bass for the first time but i need some pickups for it. Is there any advice anyone can give as to what pickups to buy and where to buy them from? Price isn't really an problem, i just want some decent pickups that will sound good!

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks fellow bassers!

I had a nightmare with feedback from the Bassmax and a horrible over-middy sound too (no matter which side I mounted the thing). A combination of bass, strings and pickup guess.

Ended up solving all my woes with a Full Circle. :)

Edited by fatback

For me the "J Tone" works! Twin paddle version.Its basically an underwood copy but sounds loud and covers all the frequency's £40 from E-Bay.......I recently bought a K Max but (To my ears) its just to muddy and compressed. Cost twice the price of the J Tone as well!!
My bass is a plywood Bosey Hawkwes. Adjustable Bridge, With Innovation Honeys, if that helps? I have listened to a realist PUP on another bass (All solid wood) and that sounded really nice.....Would love to try one!

The thing with pickups is that they vary depending on the bass, strings and playing style.
I have a Realist, a Bassmax and a Tacoman at the moment. The Realist sounds great but is more prone to feedback (mainly due to it's placement under the bridge foot) than the others. Tha Bassmax has less definition than the Realist, but is much more feedback resistant and is a lot easier to swap from bass to bass. Personally I like the Bassmax a lot as I can get loud enough on stage and swapping the element from the bass to the treble side of the bridge gives me either a thumpy rockabilly tone or a singing jazz tone.
The Tacoman pup was cheap and it sounds very similar to the Bassmax to my ears but the output is much lower, so I can't really use it live. These things are handmade though, so it may just be my unit that's a bit low.

I suspect that the Full Circle is one of the best pickups out there at the moment, but the price of the pickup, plus the expense of fitting an adjustable bridge if you haven't already got one, makes it an expensive choice.

The Rev is dead right of course. Each bass is different and seems to have its favourite pickup - and of course each player and his particular style. A pickup that sounds great at home, eg a Realist, may not do it on stage where you have to cut through the mix of the other instruments. I'm in a minority in not particularly liking the Full Circle sound, also mine failed on its first gig; I also consider the wiring to be a bit flimsy. For an all-rounder pickup I strongly favour an Underwood which I've got on all my basses. It is reasonably feedback resistant and it gives a clear sound on stage. Its sound is not 100% double bass but neither are most other pickups but I've got well-used to the sound.

Micing is best but you have to strap on all sorts of stuff to reduce the feedback. Great when you put it through the PA tho'.

Iv had lots of probs with the realist trying to get a reasonable giging volume without any feedback issues , it sounds ok at very low volumes but so would any pickup i guess. I done a gig last night and for the first half i had an sm57 mounted on to my bass and it sounded good through the p.a. and i had a feed through the monitors, but not a lot of definition.
Second set i decided to use the precision pickup i had put on the end of the fingerboard during the week as an experiment.
with a bit of EQing it was awesome , suddenly i could hear every note , i could compete with every solo , this band gets louder as the night goes on , and i got louder too yesssss. It just seemed to solve a lot of probs for me instantly !
For a plug in and play without any hassle at all type of gig, and especially if you need volume, the mag pickup worked for me.
the quest goes on, lovin it......

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a Bassmax on my ply bass and a Realist on my carved bass, both are good pups, the Bassmax produces more of the sound of the string and the Realist produces more of the sound of the body, I suppose the position of the pickup is the cause. I would say the BM isn't so good for bowing because it can sound very scratchy, and it does have a strong mid hump that I have to dial out. The Realist on the other hand could do with more brightness if anything. I can imagine the Full Circle - given its fitted position half-way between the foot and the wing of the bridge - ought to sound ideal, but I don't have one (yet).