Why become a member? ×

I need a 6 bolt neck plate. Help!!!

Bass-Thing

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1339236266' post='1685641']
I think people just generally use ferrules for necks with more than 4 bolts.
[/quote]

Do neck ferrules really work that well? (An obviously retorical question since lots of very good manufacturers use them) It never seems the most robust way compared to a plate (puts engineers cap on)

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1339236558' post='1685654']
Do neck ferrules really work that well? (An obviously retorical question since lots of very good manufacturers use them) It never seems the most robust way compared to a plate (puts engineers cap on)

A
[/quote]

They are fine. Most of the stress comes from the shear stress perpendicular to the direction that the bolts are pointing in; the vertical component of the force which stops it from coming off the body (and what the ferrules are designed to distribute over a larger area) really isn't that much. Unless you have a lot of strings on your bass I think 6 bolts is probably overkill anyway.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1339236730' post='1685658']
They are fine. Most of the stress comes from the shear stress perpendicular to the direction that the bolts are pointing in; the vertical component of the force which stops it from coming off the body (and what the ferrules are designed to distribute over a larger area) really isn't that much. Unless you have a lot of strings on your bass I think 6 bolts is probably overkill anyway.
[/quote]

I concur :) However when doing a quick search it seems everyone sells ferrules in 4's which brings the op back to square one!!

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1339238665' post='1685688']
I concur :) However when doing a quick search it seems everyone sells ferrules in 4's which brings the op back to square one!!

A
[/quote]

True point. It's not as if they are really expensive though. I had to buy a set of 4 just because I needed one!

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1339238665' post='1685688']

A
[/quote]

They're pennies from Screwfix. The trick with fitting them is to use a new drill bit and have the drill (preferably a hand-drill) turning backwards with a masking tape layer to prevent wood splitting.

Making the assumption too that the OP is talking about a bigger plate than a normal 4 hole job.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1339235806' post='1685631']
Can make one if you provide measurements. Won't be cheap like an ebay 4 bolt though.
[/quote]

Basiclly I'm after one the same size as my SUB/Stingray neckplate. It's more an aesthetic thing than a practical necessity, especially as the original Stingrays came with 3 and then 4 hole plates until they introduced the 6 hole plates in the 90s I think. When you say 'not cheap' I appreciate obviously that this will be a hand crafted plate, but how much are we talking about?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1339244178' post='1685787']
They're pennies from Screwfix. The trick with fitting them is to use a new drill bit and have the drill (preferably a hand-drill) turning backwards with a masking tape layer to prevent wood splitting.

Making the assumption too that the OP is talking about a bigger plate than a normal 4 hole job.
[/quote]

In all honesty the standard 4 hole plate that is the same size on the OLP as it is on a Fender, isn't much smaller than the six hole on the Stingray. A friend has a pre Ernie Ball Stingray with a 3 hole plate that is actually smaller but does the job perfectly. I was hoping somebody would say 'oh you get them online from whatever.co.uk but if it is going to either be a big palaver or ridiculously expensive, I will just use the spare blank 4 hole plate I already have. Thanks folks.

[quote name='Bass-Thing' timestamp='1339264759' post='1686141']
Basiclly I'm after one the same size as my SUB/Stingray neckplate. It's more an aesthetic thing than a practical necessity, especially as the original Stingrays came with 3 and then 4 hole plates until they introduced the 6 hole plates in the 90s I think. When you say 'not cheap' I appreciate obviously that this will be a hand crafted plate, but how much are we talking about?
[/quote]

If you can scan or photo it next to a ruler and give an idea of thickness, I can get a quote.

[/quote]

This. I found the issue was that you can't seem to get a drill bit that is the right size for them! Not from the local DIY shop anyway...

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1339268216' post='1686225']
This. I found the issue was that you can't seem to get a drill bit that is the right size for them! Not from the local DIY shop anyway...
[/quote]

A 99p flat wood bit from eBay does the trick :)

[/quote]

OK I give up! I cant find them on the screwfix website :ph34r:

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1339271361' post='1686284']
OK I give up! I cant find them on the screwfix website :ph34r:[/quote]

Bugger! You're right, must be discontinued - they've got these in an identical style but the ones I got off them years ago were much bigger; I put them on a rebuilt EB3 copy.

[url="http://www.screwfix.com/p/brass-screw-cups-8g-pack-of-100/32618?_requestid=953588"]http://www.screwfix....equestid=953588[/url]

I found this interesting though; in the context of this thread.........
[url="http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/273240-do-i-need-neck-plate.html"]http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/273240-do-i-need-neck-plate.html[/url]

[quote name='Bass-Thing' timestamp='1339265382' post='1686152']
In all honesty the standard 4 hole plate that is the same size on the OLP as it is on a Fender, isn't much smaller than the six hole on the Stingray. A friend has a pre Ernie Ball Stingray with a 3 hole plate that is actually smaller but does the job perfectly. I was hoping somebody would say 'oh you get them online from whatever.co.uk but if it is going to either be a big palaver or ridiculously expensive, I will just use the spare blank 4 hole plate I already have. Thanks folks.
[/quote]

That's what I wondered, why not get any decent local engineer to drill two extra holes in the plate you have? I've had a few metal parts machined up of late & they're cheaper than you'd expect, and many of them would be glad of the work in recent times.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1339266564' post='1686181']
If you can scan or photo it next to a ruler and give an idea of thickness, I can get a quote.
[/quote]

OK really appreciative of the neck plate input folks but moving swiftly on...

Now I really appreciate you getting back to me about the neck plate, but I've just heard from a little bird that you also do custom scratch plates that is far more to the point. Any chance of you duplicating my OLP MM22 scratchplate in mirror? Stingray measurements completely different. Happy to post you the original as a template. Thanks

Basically have to do batches of them to make the price not crazy for doing metal ones (it is CNC cutting then I do/have done whatever finishes individually, need to do about a dozen blanks at a time). For one off plastic ones, Bass Doc is your man as far as I recall.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1339268216' post='1686225']
[/quote]They are called forstner bits, and ferrules are perfectly fine in order to lose the ugly and heavy metal plates.