Why become a member? ×

MarkBass Traveller 2x10 p - TRV 102p by Prime_BASS

Prime_BASS

Got this to replace a compact, with a plan t get another to have a tall vertical 4x10 rig.
ANYWAY.

FEATURES: 8/10
Cabs are never features packed. But I really like the way this is put together. It is carpet covered which is something I prefer, but it never really lasts aslong as vinyl or that paint stuff you get on barefaced. The corner are plastic and fairly chunky, both these features give the traveller rugid feel and look, so I think if I dropped it it would withstand it fairly well. It has no feet as the corners coouple as the feet aswell, allowing you stand it anyway prossible, but obviously the most practical way would be either vertically or horizantally. Due to size you would only be able to stack this with another 102p unless you don't mind your stack looking a bit odd.
The tweeter control is accesible via one side and is easy to get to and as you can see it you can see how loud it is with a dB range around the control, has a good amount of resistance aswell. The handle is the more conventional recessed metal dip thing, which feels very nice and makesw the cab easy to pick. The cab it's self weighs 15kgs, but it feels a tab lighter, and due to it's small size I can run it up and down the stairs fairly easy with one hand, it's more like a small suitcase thats full.
Owerall it's a lot more professionally finished than the barefaced cabs I usually prefer. Very well thought about cab although it may have been better with another handle on the underside, for those occassions where you just need to carry it on it's own. I feel if it had 2 of those retractable handles that come on big flightcases, then one on the bottom could be used to rock the cab backwards, which always proves useful with short cabs.

SOUNDS/SOUND QUALITY: 9/10
This cab sounds huge!!! I wasn't expecting such a clear sound through the range when stuff gets narly, due to it's multi speaker sdesign but it sounds very controlled through all the frequencies, and I can still hear the difference between SolidState pre and tube preamp, although even when flat, at least on the floor next to a wall it sounds pretty muddy with my compressor (which is a t-rex squeezer) but that can be fixed with a bit of bass cut.
It's not quiet as clean as the barefaced cabs I am used to, but I think it will do a lot, obviously whatever you put in. It resonds fairly well to EQ changes and different playing styles which is always a plus, I like being able being able to rely on myself for the sounds rather than an amp or a cab.
The cross over frequency is 3.5khz, and with the tweeter off this just isn't high enough, for me anyway. Then again I am used to the barefaced's 4khz and that feels a lot higher than it is. That said the tweeter is very musical and not nasal or harsh, unless IMO you start killing it and have it on the +dB side of things, I have it just on to compensate the lack of high end that the speakers have. Witth another (which is my plan) I may feel different as usually in rehearsal rooms on big 8x10 I tunr the tweeters off and boost the upper highs to compensate. The head boost 10khz so it is good for opening up cabs high end with out the tweeter. After a rehearsal with it a few things came apparant. This sounds better at lower volumes than the normal cabs I'm used to. I also had it at a hieght that 2 of them would be at and it sounds great with that extra hight and moving around with just that single column means I'm clearer through a wider space, which is nice.
Overall, this probably isn't for everyone, it's sound is definitly from neo drivers and sounds nothing like ampeg or anything else like that.
But for those of use with a jazzy taste it perfect, and with the right amp will do lots more.

VALUE FOR MONEY: 8/10
This cabs RRP is something like £775, but if you look around it can be brought for around £500 and in same places I've seen even less. That price is not to be sniffed at, especially if you a re a markbass fan or want something light and very loud. Stupidly I slated Markbass before about prices against Barefaced, but I don't remeber last time I paid RRP on anything. Although I still think some of there range is a little pricey for what it is.

CUSTOMER SUPPORT: 9/10
This only suffers a point because I haven't had too much contact with them. While they were swiffed to a messgae on facebook about a manual for an amp they don't produce or have on their site, I emailed them using an email on the site and it was ignored, not something I was expecting form a big company but I guess you can't get everyones. It be impracticle to think otherwise.

Overall: 8/10
I only really got this to get anoither to have speakers closer to my ear, but I am super surprised at how it performs, it only loses point due to it's muddy ness with the couplying effect with my compressor. Fit and finish is very nice, and something I prefer. It goes very loud and performs very well for such a small unit with dual speakers.

I wouldn't say it's for everyone, if you know what you are doing you can use it for everything but I wouldn't say it's a plug and go cab unless you are happy going into it flat.

Great bit of kit thbat can be brought for a decent price if you look around, and used (when they come up) very dirt cheap. Something you should definitly try before you buy though.

Stephen H.

I can only really compare top the Compact as thats the most recent one that I've had. They sound similar, in terms of sound quality and what noise is produced.
As said in the review, I probably would have liked a higher cross over point for the tweeter as when it's off the high's are just too chocked.
In my room in the position I have it, it is very loud in the lows, but not really the good kind, but this point in my room has always suffered with boomyness. At the minute I am using it rocked back.
Can't really play with too much volume though as I've had a bangiung migrain the past 2 days due to excess bass!!!
I wouldn't like to say which is better as each brand has their own merits. Barefaced sounds amazing but the Markbass is finished better, and the overall on stage sound is becoming less and less important to me.
The primary change was to have a taller stack(eventually) so the bass is closer to my ear, and using other brand's taller 8x10's etc have been really pleasing results at rehearsals. Getting another barefaced to match the compact just wasn't an option in terms of money as I don't earn a lot at all! Even if I have to get a traveller 102 new it still works out cheaper than getting 2 compacts.

When money allows I think I will get a midget again though, as the sound is that good.

The email thing, it was sometime ago. At least 6 months ago

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1338981149' post='1681863']
[size=6][sup][size=5]Nice review: on the aesthetics side it is possible to turn the badge around by gently prising it off whilst heating it so when the cab is stacked vertically the badge sits horizontally, if you get my drift[/size].[/sup][/size]
[/quote]

I got mine off a BC'er and this was already done ;)