Why become a member? ×

Aerodyne Precision CIJ - lots of noise no output

Hello,

Just taken delivery of this bass I plugged it in to my amp using a stereo cable and got no output from pickups just lots of static noise, seems to work fine with a mono cable though. Is this normal, my geddy lee is not affected in the sane way.

Thanks

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1338546596' post='1676043']
Why are you using a stereo cable?
[/quote]

No reason, first one I picked up.

I had a similar issue with a kala bass a few months back. That didnt like the stereo lead either, but there was no ouput at all in that case.

Think I probably need to throw the stereo lead away, save this problem in the future.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1338547251' post='1676062']
Most (not all) of those type are stereo sockets and are used to switch on an active circuit when a mono jack is inserted.
[/quote]

It would appear to be the same issue that I had back with the Kala, a stereo jack that requires a mono cable..

Thanks

The socket pictured is most likely a 'stereo' type but used as mono output the 2nd contact is generally used to switch the battery circuit on when a mono jack is inserted. If you use a stereo jack plug it probably doesn't make the contacts properly, could even be putting the - negative side of the battery to your amp, maybe worth getting the wiring in the bass checked, but for now, just ditch the stereo lead.

Edit, + what Ou7shined said!

Edited by KiOgon