Why become a member? ×

I need advice.

jaydentaku

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1338552032' post='1676190']
It sounds to me you need to go on a testing spree before you shell out for anything :)
[/quote]

+1

Don't worry too much about the wattage, it means little in regards to volume. If you get a 500 watt amp & a 200 watt cab, it'll blow it just as a 200 watt amp would. Turn down if it sounds bad, simple as that.

nearest bass Bash from us would be Moffat, i was tempted to go this year but chickened out at the last minute, maybe we should have a Newcastle mini-bash so that Jaydentaku can try out a load of amps, anyone got a big living room or access to a hall in Newcastle?

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1338560431' post='1676386']
nearest bass Bash from us would be Moffat, i was tempted to go this year but chickened out at the last minute, maybe we should have a Newcastle mini-bash so that Jaydentaku can try out a load of amps, anyone got a big living room or access to a hall in Newcastle?

Matt
[/quote]

They used to have an excellent guitar fayre every year in the Station Hotel - which as the name implies is right next to the main station. It was excellent - I used to travel from Edinburgh for it. It then moved to a venue up the street across the road from it. But at least it shows that the pub was up for lots of blokes making noise with guitars etc. so may we worth having a word.

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1338579877' post='1676849']
when was it last on, do you know?
[/quote]

I stopped going when they stopped having as many bit's n pieces stands; you used to see stalls with old parts & pickups etc which was my main reason for going .................... just checked though and it's still going..............

[url="http://www.guitarshows.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=9"]http://www.guitarsho...&id=10&Itemid=9[/url]

Last one I went to was near Leeds a few years ago - they had a vocoder that was ex Frampton; so at least you got free DNA in with it.

Edited by Big_Stu

If your rig works fine and you're happy with it then stick with it until you know what you want to replace it with. I would say that you should probably replace both together, the Laney head is probably about as much power as the HH cabinet will take anyway, both are old technology but its not a bad thing in itself. Newer stuff tends to be lighter and more reliable.
My first amp was a borrowed old laney head, it was noisy and horrid but it served me well for years, and it did the job.
If you're after something bombproof then there are bargains to be had at the moment, many people are changing to the new lightweight gear (car stereo sized uber-powerful amps, and 1000w speaker cabs you can lift with one finger) this stuff is expensive, but a lot of people are getting rid of perfectly good top end gear that is just a bit large and heavy. Trace Elliot stuff is going insanely cheap considering in the 80s/90s this was [u]the[/u] gear to have - might be a bit clean for metal, but you can always stick a dirty pedal in front :) Have a look in the for sale section on here, most of the gear on here will have been looked after and you can look up peoples feedback, eBay is another good place but beware - check out feedback carefully as you do get people mis-selling utter crap.

>>Shameless plug: If you like a rig that lights up, check out my Hartke below, the tuner over the top of the amp has racklights built in so the whole front panel is illuminated, white, not UV, but looks cool :) - oh and the SWR that Truckstop mentioned is mine too, it is heavy but it will take a serious amount of power. <<