Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR605 lefty vs SR1205 right handed. Weird question, I know.

BELA

I have been tinking about buying an Ibanez bass for a while now.
I have small hands and short fingers and their slim necks are very tempting.

The problem is that there are only a few lefty models available and the best one right now is the SR605.
They retail for about 520 pounds.

I have found in a local store a SR1205 prestige model that I really like. It is made in Korea, comes with better hardware that the 605 and comes with "real" Bartolini pickups. Neck through body, maple/bubinga neck...I like it better than the SR605.
They are selling it for 760 pounds.

The "only" problem is that it is right handed.
As I am not playing in any band now and I would only play it at home and in sitting position, I was thinking maybe it is not such a crazy idea to buy it.
Anyways, my first couple of basses were right handed and I got over it.

What do you think about this crazy idea of mine?
Would yo buy or no way?
Is the SR1205 so much better than the SR605 to justify the extra cost and the fact that it is right handed?

Please chime in

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' timestamp='1338466644' post='1674974']
Seems quite extreme to me. Would you be restringing it to a lefty or showing off by being ambidextrous B)
[/quote]

I would restring and change the nut.
The mono rail bridge would work fine as it is.

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, but that's just me, I guess.
Personally, I hate the fact that a righty's body will not be shaped to be comfortable when resting against the lefty player's body. I find the look of an upside-down bass or guitar all wrong. I also dislike having the effing knobs touch my wrist when I play.

Edit: I have tiny hands and fingers and yet manage fine with a 5-string Warwick! If I was you I wouldn't be too worried about the size of the neck - it's probably just a matter of good playing technique, and some practice.

Edited by bluejay

If you're comfortable having an upside down bass, then go for it. I have an SR1000 & it's been a brilliant bass.

If it was me in your position, I'd either be going for the 605 & using the extra money on upgrading the pick ups (if they really need upgrading) or another fx pedal or holding on until a better Ibby comes along.