Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics BH500

simonc61

Hi, I'm currently looking for a suitable head to match up with my Hartke VX410 cab. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using TC Electronics equipment as I've been recommended the TC electronics BH500? Obviously, I know of them as an effects company but had no idea they produce amplifiers. I see JPJ and Nathan East are endorsees so must be pretty good gear. Grateful for any info. Cheers.

I have a BG 500, mines the combo, (but basically it's the same head I think) It's now used as my back-up/practice amp, it's been pretty solid for over 2 years now and never let me down.
I'm not sure if it's just the BG versions but the one I have when using post DI- out I do seem to get some very slight distortion on it, but other than that it's a fairly sound amp with lots of features.

I just didn't like the sound of my TC Classic 450. It sounded as if there was a big frequency gap where the low mid should be which meant it just didn't have any punch. I sold it and got an Ashdown ABM which sounds great. I've just bought an Ashdown MiBass which is 550 watts and only 5lbs in weight. It's loud and has loads of punch and sounds even better than my ABM. I would definitely recommend it.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1338208814' post='1670773']
Im beginning to think i may need to try another MiBass 550. I had one briefly but it didn't stand up to the ABM... maybe i should revisit...
[/quote]

I originally bought an old UK built EB 150 1x15 combo 6 years ago and really liked the sound (still have it and still like it). The ABM gets the same sound but with more grunt and the MiBass is very similiar with really versatile EQ (I think Ashdown call it semi parametric). There's almost a compressed quality to the sound (although there is no onboard compressor) which makes it really punchy and so far I'm very happy with it. I'll be playing wiith a loud rock/blues band at the weekend so will see how it gets on but I'm sure it will sound great (and it's insanely light too which is a bonus).

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1338211966' post='1670856']

I originally bought an old UK built EB 150 1x15 combo 6 years ago and really liked the sound (still have it and still like it). The ABM gets the same sound but with more grunt and the MiBass is very similiar with really versatile EQ (I think Ashdown call it semi parametric). There's almost a compressed quality to the sound (although there is no onboard compressor) which makes it really punchy and so far I'm very happy with it. I'll be playing wiith a loud rock/blues band at the weekend so will see how it gets on but I'm sure it will sound great (and it's insanely light too which is a bonus).
[/quote]

funnily enough an EB180-15 was my first combo lol. I love the MiBass design, functionality and weight. It was just the output of that particular one that didnt do it for me. I should try another one for sure.

Apologies to the OP for a slight hijack. I promise to stop now lol.

Cheers

Geoff