Why become a member? ×

GAS For A Lakland Decade... Please Help

Billy Apple

I'm getting itchy fingers for a new bass, and GASing for a Lakland Decade. I'm hoping that she would fill the gap between my PBass and TBird. All I hear about Laklands is good, but I've never tried one myself. Guitarguitar have one in Glasgow, which is the passive I'd be after, bit I'm a long way away in London.

Does any BC'er in the London/Bucks/Berks/Surrey region have a Decade I could try, without all the associated guitar-shop pressure that comes with a try-out? Also please post up your thoughts and experiences of all Laklands.

Thanks in advance

Hello!

Bit of a coincidence this! Literally just got one today! Sorry to further your gasing, but it sounds amazing! not like anything i've ever played! Not even sure how i'm going to use it yet.

It's an active one with humbuckers, but you can turn it into the passive model with single coils with the flick of a switch. I'm in Brighton if you ever fancy a go!

Jay

[quote name='jay' timestamp='1337708768' post='1664368']
Hello!

Bit of a coincidence this! Literally just got one today! Sorry to further your gasing, but it sounds amazing! not like anything i've ever played! Not even sure how i'm going to use it yet.

It's an active one with humbuckers, but you can turn it into the passive model with single coils with the flick of a switch. I'm in Brighton if you ever fancy a go!

Jay
[/quote]

Coolio, and congratulations on your purchase. I do get down to Brighton a bit, as my mate lives there. Might be visiting in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the offer.
As I understand the passive is SC and the active HB, but there was a guy selling one on here a while back saying his was an HB'ing passive. Did you find out all of the options before buying, as I was looking for a passive HB'er?

Please post up your thoughts on her, especially how you find the neck, and where did you buy?

Edited by billyapple

I've got one in Brighton too with single coils and no preamp. You're correct that humbuckers version comes standard with preamp. If I recall correctly, the passive humbucker one was a special order direct from Lakland - I can't remember who it belonged to and couldn't find it with a search. Mine actually came direct from Lakland too, it was one of the first batch in November 2008.

Anyway, if you're keen to try the single coil version you'd be welcome.

Not that I'm really in your area (if I was you would be welcome to try)... I did buy & sell my passive Humbucker here. Both the single coil and humbuckers are a great sounding bass. Personally I preferred the single coils (and the dark star one I had even more).
The necks are awesome, as long as you like that "slim-jazz-neck-thing" although the US laklands have a different feel to the skylines.
This has been relisted and still didn't sell..might be worth contacting the seller?
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAKLAND-DECADE-ACTIVE-BASS-GUITAR-/140753174090?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20c58afe4a"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAKLAND-DECADE-ACTIVE-BASS-GUITAR-/140753174090?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20c58afe4a[/url]

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1337710669' post='1664399']
Not that I'm really in your area (if I was you would be welcome to try)... I did buy & sell my passive Humbucker here. Both the single coil and humbuckers are a great sounding bass. Personally I preferred the single coils (and the dark star one I had even more).
The necks are awesome, as long as you like that "slim-jazz-neck-thing" although the US laklands have a different feel to the skylines.
This has been relisted and still didn't sell..might be worth contacting the seller?
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAKLAND-DECADE-ACTIVE-BASS-GUITAR-/140753174090?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20c58afe4a"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20c58afe4a[/url]
[/quote]
Oh yeah, it was you Jas - the passive humbucker one was your first wasn't it?

The neck is ultra-slim and ultra-low action on mine - in fact, lower than I would normally like.

I actually saw it on Ebay, I had heard some about some dodgy goings on with decades on Ebay but it was just about close enough for me to pick up so I took a punt. I didn't win the auction but luckily no one met the reserve, so I emailed the seller and picked it up today! I think he had it from new. The neck is lovely and quick, and somewhere between a P and a Jazz i'd say, very playable! i'll give you a few more thoughts on the sound when i've had longer to play, it sounds so different to my P that it's taking some getting used to, but i like it!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1337710873' post='1664404']
Oh yeah, it was you Jas - the passive humbucker one was your first wasn't it?
[/quote]
That's right Dave - I wasn't entirely sure about decades at that point so I sold it. Longer term though it did lead me on a little decade-adventure once it had all sunk in and now I wouldn't be without one. If I could have sold my current one I'd have kept the dark star one...but they are very much a niche bass. OP beware...they are awesome, but not an easy thing to sell on. Maybe they break the mould a little too much for some eh

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAKLAND-DECADE-ACTIVE-BASS-GUITAR-/140753174090?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20c58afe4a"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20c58afe4a[/url]
[/quote]

Thats where i got it from! :D

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1337711156' post='1664410']
...but they are very much a niche bass. OP beware...they are awesome, but not an easy thing to sell on. Maybe they break the mould a little too much for some eh
[/quote]
I think there's some truth in this and I do tend to use my Precision much more, especially at gigs. I'd really like to play it in a 60s psychedelic type band - there it would I think be ideal.

However, they are fantastic and slightly unusual basses.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1337710246' post='1664397']
I've got one in Brighton too with single coils and no preamp. You're correct that humbuckers version comes standard with preamp. If I recall correctly, the passive humbucker one was a special order direct from Lakland - I can't remember who it belonged to and couldn't find it with a search. Mine actually came direct from Lakland too, it was one of the first batch in November 2008.

Anyway, if you're keen to try the single coil version you'd be welcome.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I'd come down this weekend, but it's the BC'ers London meet on Saturday, and it's my mates turn for the kids. If I understand correctly, yours is a USA made model, but with Indonesian spec? I've looked up 'Plek', is this done to all Laklands, or is it just a USA thing? Plus, after having her for 4 years, how is she holding up?(and the cooker too!)

[/quote]

Jay beat me too it!

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1337711156' post='1664410']
OP beware...they are awesome, but not an easy thing to sell on. Maybe they break the mould a little too much for some eh
[/quote]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1337711565' post='1664419']
I think there's some truth in this and I do tend to use my Precision much more, especially at gigs. I'd really like to play it in a 60s psychedelic type band - there it would I think be ideal.

However, they are fantastic and slightly unusual basses.
[/quote]

I think this is good advice, and thanks guys. Everything that people are saying so far sounds right up my street, but I don't want to pull the trigger on one without trying first, or buying unseen on Ebay. I'll keep my powder dry, and one eye on the shores of Brighton!

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1337711900' post='1664425']
Thanks for that. I'd come down this weekend, but it's the BC'ers London meet on Saturday, and it's my mates turn for the kids. If I understand correctly, yours is a USA made model, but with Indonesian spec? I've looked up 'Plek', is this done to all Laklands, or is it just a USA thing? Plus, after having her for 4 years, how is she holding up?(and the cooker too!)
[/quote]
I'm probably tied up all this weekend anyway. PM me if you want to try to arrange something.

The 'proper' US models are over twice the price and everything is US made - Jas (Legion) has one of those - but the Skyline, like mine, have bodies and necks that are machined etc in Indonesia and then the electrics and setup are done in Chicago. All Laklands are Plekked I believe, certainly mine was.

She's pretty much as new, unlike the cooker which has done more gigs.

So I'm off to a rehearsal now and I've decided to take the Decade. B)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1337714073' post='1664471']
You can here the Decade here (perhaps you knew that already): [url="http://www.lakland.com/ac_decade.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/ac_decade.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Yes, I'd had a listen the other day, but I've had a more detailed look around the site, and it does say that all Skylines are now plek'd. Thanks for the help