Why become a member? ×

Everyday 'workhorse' 1979 Fender Precision with bridge J pickup - £1,500

molan

[b]NOW SOLD[/b]

So here's another not particularly awesome bass - a simple classic US Fender P bass in good old black 'n' maple finish with two different pickguards, tort & plain black.

It's all original as far as I know apart from the professionally routed J pickup at the bridge. The pickups are a matched pair and work really well together. Each pickup has a master volume control so you can balance across the pair and switch between classic P only sounds or the added bite that a J at the bridge can bring.

My personal favourite setting is to bias to wards the P by having it full on & then to wind the J back about a quarter turn & a little bit of treble cut from the global tone control :)

With the P only it has that big beefy P sounds that you only seem to get from the heavier late 70's P basses

Speaking of which - It is a bit of a weighty beast but balance is really good & the previous owner used it for regular long gigs. Overall condition is great, there are some wear marks but nothing really untoward.

I genuinely can't remember which of the two pickguards is the original, I think it's the tort one but the all black looks pretty cool as well.

Comes with a well used Fender ABS hard case, not original but pretty hard wearing & covered with cool stickers :)

It's difficult to put into words but there really is something quite 'special' about this one - I'm just not really a P player & am trying to thin out my herd of old Fender P basses :(

I'm asking £1,500 for this given condition, sound & sheer playability of this bass. Happy to consider trades for basses or amps/cabs so long as they are relatively easy to sell & there's a cash balance in my favour.

Here's a sample pic - I have lots more :

Edited by molan

Looks great to me too (but already have something similar).

This was the period for the black/black/maple so I'd guess it was the black which is original.

Nice with the tort though, gives a good 'working bass' sort of vibe.

Just looked this up (fender site) for info:

[i]"From the early '60s to the early '70s, Fender referred specifically to the nut width of its instrument necks using the letters A (1 ½"), B (1 5/8"), C (1 ¾") and D (1 7/8"). These letters were stamped on the butt-end of the necks and had nothing to do with neck profile."[/i]

Quite a range, nearly 1/2" difference. Looks like this died when CBS came along.

Edited by 4 Strings