Why become a member? ×

Pubs Closing, Gigs Cancelled - grrr....

Stompbox

It's all gloom and doom in Morecambe at the minute folks.....

Landlord of pub rang the other day & cancelled all our remaining gigs with them - numbers of punters down, pub rental up - blah, blah, blah.

I was not best pleased.

Also another good local venue for bands- Ma Murphy's - has closed & the landlord's gone. Used to have lots of local Rock bands on there.

I've just come back after a reconnaisance mission about yet ANOTHER local place - the Park Hotel - someone said it was closing - well the doors are shut, and there's a notice pinned on the door.

I didn't pull up & park, walk & read it, but if the doors are shut on a Saturday night, then it looks like confirmation of another one gone to the wall....

Hmmm.....

Stompbox

:(

Whilst the function circuit seems healthy enough, the pub/club scene is drying up fast. Venues closing and revenues/attendances falling. Costs to bands aren't exactly falling either (fuel/costs for travel, for example)
Soon there'll be nothing left except large venues (ctiy halls and stadia) and open mic nights.

It is sad, but not something I blame anyone for.. the LL can't make it work and has probably lost a bomb so somethings are more important that some bands hobby gigs.

Around here, the supply is pretty consistant..if one closes, then another one tries it. Gig fees are down to around £200 for a starter but there are so many bands after that gig
that you need to do hard yards and be worth your fee.

I am always impressed that these business's risk money on bands and then make it work..!!

In my town..you can have 7-8-9 gigs on a saturday night... in a town with a population of c100,000 and something just don't add up. A few of those gigs must have lost money, but then some LL's will tell you that his music gigs ar the only thik keeping things afloat. And a lot of bands also get out and support other gigs so the scene is healthy and vibrant by and large.

im finding here in Devon that whilst some pubs for sure are closing or just cancelling gigs, others are starting up and giving it a go.
Sure, you have to travel some fair distances, quite often a 2 hour round trip and the fees are really tight (approx £200 for a 3 piece) but you've gotta be prepared to put in the work getting the gigs and constantly ringing round/ popping in etc, but that's a whole other thread!