Why become a member? ×

Orange AD200B MK3

incubass

What are your thoughts on this particular amp? I've noticed there isn't a topic about it, and I'd like to know how well it delivers in terms of clear tone...

I've read somewhere that it's difficult to reach high volumes in a clear tone, since the overdrive easily comes out. My current bands play 70's funk, rock and pop, and I wonder if this amp would give me something different from my Mesa.

So what do you say?

I have one and I love it, it is by far my favourite amp I've ever played through. However, as with most Oranges, it has the distinctive warm Orange sound. I'd definitely suggest trying one first because I there isn't a whole lot of control of the sound available, just a 3-band EQ and gain.
That's not to say you can't have it sounding clean- with the gain low and the master volume high it is clean, but a very warm, valvy clean.

You might want to try an Orange Bass Terror if you haven't already- same preamp as the AD200 but with a class D power amp and capable of going louder, cleaner (there are some reliability issues with them though, and they don't sound quite as beautiful as the AD200 in my opinion.)

what he said!

i really like the sound of em but there a bit to heavy! but like mr dirtyrob said they can do clean but if your looking for markbass clean then its the wrong amp, its more warm and heavy. i never really noticed the one i tried a while back going into really over the top od when i cranked the gain? although that is what happened when i had my ad140b to get it heard in my band it was maxed out and distorted like crazy!! but that was more down to speaker size as i was using a single 15, for both the 200 and the 140, proven as the last gig i did i used a ampeg fridge with the 140 and i was much cleaner! sadly couldnt afford an 810! or justify it!

but orange amps sound amazing! def try one out!

and ive also heard bad things about the terror bass! but i must say i have never tried one! but the bad things i heard are dif from above, ive heard they've got a really hot di which can clip on going into the pa desk and also i think i heard somewhere that the power lamp blows? amp still works just no light?

andy

The hot DI on the Terror cab be fixed with an inline XLR attenuator. Orange should pull their finger out and listen to customers about this, it's far too hot for the majority of desks! At least it has a DI, unlike the AD200B.

The lamp looks the same as the AD200B, I'm guessing it's a bulb which won't last as long as an LED. Not heard of many people blowing the lamps, but if they are bulbs rather than LEDs they should at least be easy enough to replace without soldering anything.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1337183898' post='1656841']
The hot DI on the Terror cab be fixed with an inline XLR attenuator. Orange should pull their finger out and listen to customers about this, it's far too hot for the majority of desks! At least it has a DI, unlike the AD200B.

The lamp looks the same as the AD200B, I'm guessing it's a bulb which won't last as long as an LED. Not heard of many people blowing the lamps, but if they are bulbs rather than LEDs they should at least be easy enough to replace without soldering anything.
[/quote]

yep i think its an easy fix, yeh they should really sort that, shouldnt be expected to by the amp then something else to calm the di. i thought the new ad200's had a di? but dnt they have a line out jack tho? not the same but close enough no?

andy

[quote name='incubass' timestamp='1337171059' post='1656521']
What are your thoughts on this particular amp? I've noticed there isn't a topic about it, and I'd like to know how well it delivers in terms of clear tone...

I've read somewhere that it's difficult to reach high volumes in a clear tone, since the overdrive easily comes out. My current bands play 70's funk, rock and pop, and I wonder if this amp would give me something different from my Mesa.

So what do you say?
[/quote]

Everythinggood about the Orange and wanting clean tone = get a Matamp GT200.