Why become a member? ×

Pay by the mile...

pietruszka

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1338494410' post='1675506']
The very fact that government has teams of people working on these sort of pie-in-the-sky schemes (pasty-in-the-sky?) tells it's own story. They'll recover the money from somewhere, somehow.
[/quote]

I'm surprised that they haven't managed to implement an e-mail tax (other than VAT on your ISP bill).

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1338492963' post='1675471']
aircraft carriers that don't carry aircraft.
[/quote]

Ian's [color=#ff0000][b][size=5][font=courier new, courier, monospace]TOP SECRET [/font][/size][/b][/color]proposal for an aircraft carrier that doesn't carry aircraft...

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1338497856' post='1675578']
I'm surprised that they haven't managed to implement an e-mail tax (other than VAT on your ISP bill).
[/quote]

I suspect they would if they could - like the old joke about taxing the air we breathe if they could find a way.

After all, isn't the so-called pasty-tax only being dropped because it's basically unworkable in practice?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1338476366' post='1675168']
It's not just about the infrastructure. Electric cars will do nothing to alleviate our upcoming energy crisis. The power for electric cars (electricity) is mainly produced by burning fossil fuels. Electric transport only makes sense if the power comes from renewables, which is not happening as (for example) part of the risible government budget for research into renewables is being diverted to subsidise 'fracking' and other harebrained fossil fuel schemes.
[/quote]

...and due to a very successful lobbying by the gas industry the EU has classified natural gas as a renewable energy source so now that industry can get it's hands on R&D monies that was meant for 'legitimate' renewables.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1338498627' post='1675597']
I suspect they would if they could - like the old joke about taxing the air we breathe if they could find a way.

After all, isn't the so-called pasty-tax only being dropped because it's basically unworkable in practice?
[/quote]

I thought it was a mixture of two reasons:

1) Because there was a chance that an MP might eat one, accidentally or for a 'photo opportunity' (look at me with my tie off and my sleeves rolled up...) and have to pay that 'filthy tax stuff' like ordinary people.
2) Because they aren't expensive enough to make expenses forgery a worthwhile exercise.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1338499424' post='1675621']
...and due to a very successful lobbying by the gas industry the EU has classified natural gas as a renewable energy source so now that industry can get it's hands on R&D monies that was meant for 'legitimate' renewables.
[/quote]

Really? On what basis?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1338500670' post='1675648']
Really? On what basis?
[/quote]

Sorry, got it slightly wrong. Not classified as a renewable, but as a low carbon 'green' energy source, thus allowing it acces to R&D monies.

[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/may/29/gas-rebranded-green-energy-eu?INTCMP=SRCH"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/may/29/gas-rebranded-green-energy-eu?INTCMP=SRCH[/url]

Fair enough. I was aware that gas is generally regarded as 'greener' than oil or coal, which seems to be the 'spin' being used to promote things like fracking. The US seems particularly keen on this source of energy as it could give them a high level of energy security, which is seen as increasingly important these days.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1338501639' post='1675668']
The US seems particularly keen on this source of energy as it could give them a high level of energy security, which is seen as increasingly important these days.
[/quote]

Oh yes. The American military-industrial complex is the single biggest user of fossil fuels on the planet. They look very closely indeed at energy security, and put Peak Oil at 2015. They predict a shortfall of 10m barrels per day at this time. If you are new to the phenomenon of Peak Oil, check this out:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil[/url]

Have a great weekend! :D

Edited by discreet