Why become a member? ×

stupid question-double bass and saloon car

CS2

If you fully recline the front seat, you should be able to lay your bass on the seat with the scroll in the footwell. It's a bit of a faff getting the bugger in through the front passenger door (you may have to remove the driver's head restraint) but it will fit.

My ex-wife had a VW Fox which is the smallest of the VW range and I regularly put a double bass in it AND took myself and a band member with his kit to gigs. My bass is 4/4 too. It was a squeeze but we did it a few times

To the best of my knowledge this wasn't the reason why she is now an ex-wife! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Most weekends i'm out with my double bass in a gear4music hard(ish) case, the ones that are about £150 and are more bulk than protection, 2 bass bins, bass head, 1x15 combo, electric bass, camera case and 4u pa amp, 1x15 cab and it all fits with room for a passenger. It's all about gear tetris in a Vauxhall Astra

I pack everything: bass, combo amp, small extension speaker cab, music, extra bass guitar for backup, accessories, stand, etc., into my (USA) Chevrolet Aveo hatchback, which is the same as the GM/Daewoo Kalos. The rear seats fold forward, and the neck of the bass in its soft case is positioned between the two front seats, with the body placed to the driver's side in the rear so the neck clears the shifter.