Why become a member? ×

Hi from a new bass player..whos old enough to know better

ChrisF

Hi

Im 47..originally from London, but living in Bedfordshire. I picked a bass up for the first time just after Christmas this year after a friend ask me if I wanted to start a band with him. Luckily both he and my son are excellent guitarists so they have both been teaching me.

The band plays rockabilly...I know what you are gonna say.."you need an upright for rockabilly". And I totally agree, but at the moment for many,many reasons an upright is not an option...hopefully next year.( I also like rock music..AC/DC Iron Maiden etc etc)

My guitar is a Hofner Violin Bass Ignition HI-BB and I love it. Ive put some foam under the bridge and its sounding very much like an upright. Next step is some flatwound strings.....I would appreciate it if anyone knows which ones are best for my guitar, as I havent got a clue :blush:

cheers all...Chris

Welcome Chris,
Good ol' Rockabilly, love it.
Yes, nylon tapewound strings. Rotosound do them, I think they're called Trubass. Nicely black too.
As for ripping your frets off......maybe one thing at a time? ;)
Len

PS - edit.
I passed on a slightly used set of these strings to alhbass on this forum. He couldn't use them and may still have them floating around. Worth dropping him a message.

Edited by Len_derby

lol...cheers all. I will have a look for some Rotosound Trubass. As for ripping out the frets...erm...I think not.....a step too far methinks......and Im having trouble finding the right notes with the frets...let alone without :blush:

oh..and does anyone know which length I want?? short, medium or long ??

Edited by ChrisF

Here's the thread concerning the set of TruBass I gave to Al. Hopefully he's still got them and they can be yours for a small donation to Basschat.

[u][color="#800080"][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/170049-rotosound-tru-bass-black-nylon-strings/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/170049-rotosound-tru-bass-black-nylon-strings/[/url][/color][/u]

I tried them on the bass in my avatar photo, a Squier Telebass. My guess is that they will fit ok on a Hofner Violin but someone better informed may be able to confirm that. For the record, I took them off the Squier as the sound was far too muddy with the single 'mud-thumper' pickup fitted. I use a set on my Yamaha fretless though.