Why become a member? ×

Ahhhh.....horror!

I'm distraught!

New amp and cab delivered Friday....plugged in my beloved Yamaha TRB5-p and away I went. Bliss.... a good 45 minutes setting up a few sounds playing about with pedals. Back into my wee rehearsal space Saturday morning, new battery into the bass, plugged in my 21 year old baby and .......nothing! Horrified, I pulled the back off the battery compartment thinking "it's OK, battery in the wrong way". Touches the battery and it's warm! Hmmm....odd. Changed the battery back to the older one (that had been working fine tbh), ensured correct polarity and plugged it back up. Still nothing. Tried various batteries, all the same and all getting warm. Completely mystified, baffled.

HELP!!!!

Does anyone have any ideas? My wee beauty has NEVER skipped a beat in 21 years and there was NO sign of bad connection, grumbling jack or intermittent signal. I'm really quite upset to be honest. Amazing how attached you get to your bass....my other half thinks I'm MAD :-\

All the best basschatters

Hopeful from Scotland

Chill, don't get too distraught.

Can you check out the pups and wiring, do you have a multimeter?

Can't imagine it's anything to do with your new amp, just coincidental.

First things first, unscrew the rear cover and check out whether any wires have come adrift.

Good luck and let us know

A battery getting warm is usually a sign of it being shorted back on itself without any components inbetween (like putting a paperclip across the contacts). Check the circuit, especially the wiring, to check for this kind of short. I'm not sure of the effects on a preamp by having a reversed polarity power source in it for a period of time.

If you are unlucky, wrong polarity can cause either capacitors (electrolytic) or op amps to fail. if this is the case you are in luck with it being an older Yamaha, it will have components that are DIY repair with soldering Iron. As above, firstly check for stray wires, even small 'whiskers' that are causing a short circuit. The multimeter is your friend. If there are no short circuits then replace any electrolytics, then any op amps.

Edited by 3below

OK...thanks for the info. I am 100% sure no damage to the amp and wasn't really considering it as a potential failure....more my wee baby bass (do you feel my pain?). I'm not great with a soldering iron so think I'll pop it into a repair shop in the morning and keep my fingers crossed. From what you all seem to say, it looks OK (ish) so I'll stop worrying..... should have bought that Jazz Bass on Ebay yesterday after all .... just as a back up you understand (so my TRB doesn't get too upset).

:gas: