Why become a member? ×

Thunderfunk owners

warwickhunt

Has anyone ever run their TF 550 @ anything less than 4 ohms (not applicable to the 750 which I know can/does)?

I'm [u]considering[/u] running a 4 ohm Aguilar DB212 + an 8 ohm DB112 (+ x2 DB112s would be OTT). It isn't a definite as I'll try the 212 by itself first but wondering if for the gigs where I might need a bit more, then I could add a 1x12.

I'm not fussed about which cab is handling how much wattage etc. but my reading around of the running of the TF @ 2-4 ohm loads, is giving mixed views. I realise that it is rated at 4 ohms but there is plenty 'reading' to say that so long as you are sensible with volumes it'll run fine.

I could buy myself a cheap power amp and slave off the TF or even a cheapie bass head that could be used as a slave to the other cab(s).

This is all idle musing is I prepare to go out to my gig tonight. ;)

I've seen one guy on Talkbass saying he's done this and Dave Funk, in the same thread, not recommending it.

I would imagine that the problem is the extra heat generated, but with the tolerances built in to the amp it could probably run at 2.67 ohms at low volume.

I agree with chris about tolerance and generall excellent build but I've not done it nor needed to.

I guess Dave Funk is hedging his bets when he says 'not recommened' ..and he should know.. but if you have to pair it back
in order to run another cab safely, then that probably negates the reason for wanting to do it, anyway.
I'd go with the slave idea..more control on the extra cab/cabs. Monster rig :lol:

I must admit this extra 'thing' is why I have 2xDB210's. That fills up any stage I've used of late.

Edited by JTUK