Why become a member? ×

Steve Severin

I've never seen him mentioned on any threads so I thought if anyone else was influenced by him.

Although not technically one of the best players ever, Steve Severin was one of those guys who made bass playing look cool as f**k and made me learn that instead of lead guitar.

I remember him talking about a bass he called the 'ayatollah' as it was very heavy but I can't remember what it was.

Especially liked the stuff he did on The Glove project with Robert Smith

guitarist John McGeoch (RIP) said in a Guitarist interview that "although Severin couldn't play bass, he was the most musically minded person I ever met".

"Christine" and "Blow the house down" have great basslines- quirky and unconventional.

he used a stingray, a 70's Jazz and also a Wal.

big fan of his - it was him, simon gallup and peter hook who made me want to play bass.

many an hour when i was starting out playing was spent learning banshees basslines.

and agreed about the bass playing on 'blue sunshine'.

/doffs hat to mr. severin/

[quote name='ahpook' post='179907' date='Apr 18 2008, 04:23 PM']big fan of his - it was him, simon gallup and peter hook who made me want to play bass.

many an hour when i was starting out playing was spent learning banshees basslines.

and agreed about the bass playing on 'blue sunshine'.

/doffs hat to mr. severin/[/quote]

Yeah - I always liked his playing.... Here's what he's up to now: [url="http://www.myspace.com/stevenseverinmusic"]http://www.myspace.com/stevenseverinmusic[/url]

I remember back in the day we were rehearsing at NOMIS (I think that's closed down now?) - & The Banshees were there as well - bumped into Severin in the toilet of all places - he was about 4ft tall. Yet another famous short arse!

Yes - I think he played a WAL quite often - with aluminium plectrums!

But for me the most talented musician from that era was Budgie - what a drummer.

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='99ster' post='179926' date='Apr 18 2008, 04:37 PM']Yeah - I always liked his playing.... Here's what he's up to now: [url="http://www.myspace.com/stevenseverinmusic"]http://www.myspace.com/stevenseverinmusic[/url]

I remember back in the day we were rehearsing at NOMIS (I think that's closed down now?) - & The Banshees were there as well - bumped into Severin in the toilet of all places - he was about 4ft tall. Yet another famous short arse!

Yes - I think he played a WAL quite often - with aluminium plectrums!

But for me the most talented musician from that era was Budgie - what a drummer.[/quote]
+1

Budgie is a great drummer.. And I've always been a Banshees fan. Funny you say that about NOMIS - it was that kind of place! I bumped into Francis Rossi from Quo in there once..

[quote name='Bassassin' post='180265' date='Apr 19 2008, 01:16 AM']Massive fan - loved his sound, style & whole textural approach.

He lives up here in Edinburgh these days - and seeing this thread has just reminded me that he's doing a one-off gig at the Voodoo Rooms on May 3rd! :)

Jon.[/quote]
Hi Jon,
Big fan too myself, though I doubt you're gonna see a bass guitar at this gig or others. He's been doing a lot of good ambient electronic stuff along with quite a few good film soundtracks over last years.

• Like 1