Why become a member? ×

Cigar Bocks Bass

watton_earth

Hey thar fellars, watton_earth heear.
ah cum over a mite redneck, an been hankerin for t'try mah han' at buildin' a cigar box git-fiddle fo' a long old time na.

So ah had some time t'take, an' some spare bucks an' ah decided t'does it! Well howt doggy!

Translation:

Hello chaps, watton_earth here.
I have been wanting to try my hand at building a cigar box guitar for a long time now.
So I had some holiday to take and some spare money and I decided to stop procrastinating about the bush and do it! Horrah!

Got me lumber, a box, n nails.

Broke na, shiyt!

Translation:
I ordered a:
- Bass paddle neck, this is going to allow me to cut the design I hand in mind.
- Kent armstrong toaster, I like the way sound & look
- elephant ear tuners
- chunky bridge (need some weight in the body I guess, but mostly I just liked the way it looked)
- Medium length (and gauge) just a guess £4 from ebay can't go wrong

I spent my way close to half an epiphone jack casady bass (GAS!) , best not to think about it really.

Edited by watton_earth

I didn't really have a brief as such, and I don't smoke any more so there isn't even a design on the back of a pack of fags.

I don't care if it's not polished, I don't have enough time to pick toys up off the floor most days so, let's do this already.

So with that in mind the parts that arrived aren't exactly top quality...but this works I think...

For example I ordered 2 left & 2 right tuners, so when 4 right tuners turned up and 1 was of a differant design to the others.....(meh! look at all the lovely f*cks I give).

I did have to massage the odd man out tuner into position (with a lump hammer and a vice)

Here it is...

No I'm not going to sand it...

Edited by watton_earth

The cigar box I got from ebay came sort of ready to go...but unfortunatly the neck didn't really look that strong, so unfortunatly I had to re do it. In retro spect I think I should have just bought a cohiba box like I wanted but, i'm lazy and impatient...

Edited by watton_earth

Boooooo! I've come to a flying stand still, I need 55mm screws for the neck, and these are difficult to get hold of. Dam imperial measurement system. So they are now on order.

Also...

The electric's didn't arrive in time, so...

I suppose it's time to kick back and play some bass.

• 1 month later...

I know what your thinking...and no the hose pipe is not plumbed in, there's a hose pipe ban on after all...

You may also be thinking that this is a differant box...it is.

The last one the measurements between the nut and bridge were way out so I had to start again.

This looks better anyway.

It's actually surprisingly playable sounds nice too, I can even leave it lying around and don't care if the wee ones batter the hell out of it.

watton_earth out

• 2 weeks later...