Why become a member? ×

624 gigs and its ended - Guthrie Govan and the Fellowship's residency comes to an end

4 Strings

Woe is me. Innocently went along to the Bassment last night to see The Fellowship and it turned out to be their last night! Glad I went but some colour in my life now has been tippexed out.

(For those who don't know - and there's no reason why should - The Fellowship was a casual gathering of guitar whizz Guthrie Govan - look him up on Youtube, although that really doesn't do him justice - the amazing Zac Barrett on sax plus the inspiring regular line up of Seth Govan on bass, Pete Riley on drums and (usually) John Dutton on keys playing breathtaking jazz fusion in a tiny little bar for a fiver every Thursday for over 12 years.)

I've always loved watching and hearing Seth on the bass, (how I'd love that tone from my jazz!), and will miss the long sequences of guitar/sax sync playing.

I'm in mourning.

<Edit> Zac did say they will still meet up and perform in the area but less regularly.

Edited by 4 Strings

Yes a real shame

I've heard its cos of guthries committments with:-

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aristocrats/dp/B005PZAXKW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336748619&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aristocrats/dp/B005PZAXKW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336748619&sr=8-2[/url]

I was there too, and I work with Seth on Fridays. He seemed pretty disappointed by it, but is positive about playing at other venues perhaps monthly.

It's a shame as it's so wonderful to have those guys on my doorstep every thursday,. and I've enjoyed my gigs with John and Zak, as well as depping at the Bassment when they've been off touring. Let's hope they get it sorted asap!

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1336749306' post='1650459']
That is sad - I suspect a certain guitarist of my acquaintance will also be in mourning on hearing the news. Chelmsford has suddenly become a less interesting place. :(

Didn't he have Dave Kilminster in the band at one point?
[/quote]

Dave, among a small handful of others, depped for Guthrie on occasion. Not an easy task!

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='Mike' timestamp='1336750108' post='1650479']
I was there too, and I work with Seth on Fridays. He seemed pretty disappointed by it, but is positive about playing at other venues perhaps monthly.

It's a shame as it's so wonderful to have those guys on my doorstep every thursday,. and I've enjoyed my gigs with John and Zak, as well as depping at the Bassment when they've been off touring. Let's hope they get it sorted asap!
[/quote]

You depped, on bass?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1336751670' post='1650522']
You depped, on bass?
[/quote]

A couple of times when Seth and guthrie were away, yeah. Never played with Guthrie - that would be a blast - but Zak is one of the loveliest guys I know and a great player.

Zac is really lovely. My lad knows Magic Johnson and Zac even allowed him to play a number on drums at a time when he was depping for Pete. Unfortunately timing ended up being against the realisation of that little fantasy and so it never came to pass.