Why become a member? ×

Ashton BV300. All Valve 300w Bass Head.

VTypeV4

I think I have had this long enough (8/11) and used it enough to write a fair evaluation of this amp..

[IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/BV300RVW.jpg[/IMG]

Overview:

This is a budget amplifier actually built by Smarvo somewhere in the east but is rebadged with the Ashton badge, much like some of the transistor range of amps. The Eden amplifier is also the same amp with a few detail changes in the pre-amp and and inverted chassis. It is a genuine all valve offering with a 6 x KT88 power stage which is claimed to make 300w RMS.

Features:

This is quite a straight forward amplifier with no multiple fancy, all singing all dancing tap dance features! It has an input gain and a master volume for level settings, a passive 3-band EQ (with a shift button) and is supplemented with a -10dB pad and a what seems to be a +10dB boost facility. On the back we have a balanced direct output on XLR and an unbalanced line out on a jack for further connectivity. Another jack socket is provided to footswitch the boost facility if required. 6 mini trim pots are on show with test points to adjust the bias of each output valve. Further across we have a switch for the operating load allowing 4 or 8 ohms. Two jack sockets allow speakers to be connected.

In a nutshell, a straight forward amp, it doesn't even have an FX loop! What it does have, works great allowing a very much plug and play setup rather than messing for hours.

Sound quality:

First I'd like to say I have been a life-long Trace Elliot fan having used many of their 7 band, 12 band and V-Type ranges. This is the first amplifier that I have bought specifically for bass that hasn't been a Trace. I've been playing for 15 years.

I have found the sound quality of this amplifier brilliant, I was very suprised at the warmth and punch of the amp the first time I tried it in the shop. It was tested with a mid-range Overwater 5-string bass and a VM Squier jazz bass to see how it handled both modern and classic style basses. The cabinet was the matching Celestion loaded Ashton BQ410. At the time of trying the amp, I had no intention of buying it thinking 'how can this cheap valve amp be any good?' Looks like the joke was on me! Both basses were handled without drama or requiring any EQ changes to get pleasing sounds from each.

I use the Ashton with my Warwick Streamer LX 5 and a Yamaha NE-1. I leave the EQ pretty flat (well controls at 12 o'clock) with just a bit of extra top end wound round at 3 o'clock. The midshift is left switched out. I leave the input gain at 12 o'clock and adjust the output level with the master volume. I have found the boost to offer a bit more warmth and compression without actually overdriving which I rather like.

What does it sound like?

Lovely in a word! It doesn't grind up like a V-Type Trace, an Ampeg, Hiwatt etc rather more like a Fender on steroids which suits my sound, the harder it's pushed, the more it compressesed it gets but pretty much without breaking up. No good for grind merchants, great for those wanting clean fat valve sounds. As it doesn't break up so much, it doesn't seem as 'loud' as other valve amps of similar ratings but still plenty enough to upset! If I could put label on it, it would be halfway between Fender/V-Type clean and Ampeg clean. Difficult to label but it certainly has it's own character.

I have used it with the Ashton 410 and the Ashton 115 which are big but solid and also my vintage HH loaded 115. Suffice to say I like it best with both Ashton cabs but in all honesty, the 410 is usually enough on it's own.

Build Quality and relaibility:

I've had the unit since August last year and it I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I have checked the bias which required a little adjustment to settle them all in at 35mV.

Given that this is a budget item, build quality is good. Firstly it came with Electro Harmonix branded valves which is a thumbs up. Electrically it looks substantial too, the mains transformer of the torroidal type is a nod in the right direction as is the conventional shaped and sensibly the chunky output transformer The brushed metal control panels are nicely finished also. Upholstery is finished to a good standard with clean seams and no apparent joins. Chunky metal handles allow the unit to easily transported. I have seen other versions with a central strap handle but not sure that's adequate as its quite heavy.

Bad bits:

I have so far sung the praises of this amp and on the whole, it's very good but it's not quite perfect.
Firstly, the output valves are cooled by a centrally mounted fan in the top of the unit which in itself is a good idea, however.. It's a single high-speed fan which is rather noisy in operation. It doesn't matter in a gig situation but can be distracting when in a quiet or recording environment. Secondly, the wires that run to the fan were quite untidy as the connector runs from the chassis across the front of the pre-amp valves and then up the side to the fan. I have since re-routed them behind the valves and cleaned the route up the side. Another point, the mid-shift button causes a bit of a 'pop' when pressed but I don't use it so it doesn't matter that much. One last point is the rated power of 300w. I haven't tested it myself but I have read it doesn't quite make 300w, I expect 240w to be a more realistic figure. I'll get round to testing it one day.

Conclusion:

A great bit of kit, especially on a budget, it's quite hard to fault! It isn't most flexible bit of kit and I expect when folk try them, they'll either like it or they won't. It's not hard or agressive, rather smooth and warm but still with plenty of punch not to be lost in a group mix. I even A/B it against the 600SMX I currently have for sale and have to say that I preferred the Ashton. I don't think those big glowing bottles can be beat!

I love mine! The only reason it was for sale was because I needed some pennies but thats since sorted so it'll stay!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1339509031' post='1689512']
Where did you buy this from. You mentioned a shop, but I don't seem to be able to find anywhere that stocks it...

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

I'd hazard a guess at Thomann, i vaguely remember seeing Ashton stuff on there, though i may be mistaken.

Liam

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1339509031' post='1689512']
Where did you buy this from. You mentioned a shop, but I don't seem to be able to find anywhere that stocks it...

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

I know of one probably going in Bath, unless it already sold.

It was all bought from Academy of Sound in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. I think it was the only one they ever had in there.. I'm sure Academy Pete (Mr B!) would confirm. From what I paid for the lot, I think they just wanted it gone as it had been in there for a while.

I'm not sure it's still in production (with the Ashton badge at least) as I don't [i]think[/i] it was on their site last time I looked. It is however still listed on the Smarvo (OEM) site as a current model.

Hope this helps.

To Random Bass Geoff, As Mr Foxen says, i have one here in Bath up for sale... great amp for the money and amazingly clean voiced!

VType: Definitely an accurate and hoest review on the BV300 there too! Got on with mine, but found a SVT II (non pro) going for a song, so now it has to go to a new home!

Edited by chiSEERKIND

[quote name='chiSEERKIND' timestamp='1339616605' post='1691661']
VType: Definitely an accurate and hoest review on the BV300 there too! Got on with mine, but found a SVT II (non pro) going for a song, so now it has to go to a new home!
[/quote]

Cheers, I thought t was about tme I put my thoughts down in an honest and comprehensive manor. They do seem to be very chalk/cheese but I've a few comments on how well it sounds and the usual 'whats that amp, mate?'. It comes to something when I'm selling a 600SMX but keeping a cheapo valve amp!

As for the SVT, if you found one on the cheap I guess you got to fly with it!

Cheers!

It certainly doesn't look great and couldn't agree more with the price.. Mine was in the shop on sale for £299 and that included no modifications, marks/scuffs and a 12 month warranty..

Good luck with your sale, Matt

• 1 year later...

Just as a foot-note, I had a cap fail in this amp (5/14) but it was quickly, cheaply and easily remedied without any further problems. It's given three years of service without a single issue till now so I can forgive it this minor blunder.

[URL=http://s778.photobucket.com/user/VTypeV4/media/FixedBV2_zps19e3ccb3.jpg.html][IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/FixedBV2_zps19e3ccb3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Still a great amp that I'm very happy with and would happily take to any gigging or recording session. :D

And lastly, I cracked the cabs open to see what drivers were in there and they are indeed Celestion Tru-Vox / TF series. The tens are the 100w TF1018s and the fifteen a 250w TF1525.

Edited by VTypeV4