Why become a member? ×

EBS Neo 210+212 - Complimentary Cabs?

Sid Fang

I'm a very happy EBS user - Drome for practice, HD350+Neo 212 for gigs. I'm toying with the idea of adding a second cab to the HD350 rig, and was thinking that a Neo 210 would give me some interesting flexibility, but I don't want to order one and deal with the hassle of trying to return it if it doesn't "play nice" with its bigger brother in terms of phase effects, etc. Has anybody out there used this particular pairing in a gig situation? You can hear Swaeli Mbappe playing just this rig at Musikmesse in
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqDwtOi5AWA[/media]
and it's got a good balance of grit, depth, and clarity in the video, but it *is* just a camcorder video and it's done at very low sound levels.

Not tried it but guessing from experience that this wouldn't be a bad match up......but
The 210 might rate around 400w whereas the 212 should be closer to 600watts with 8 ohms cabs..

If you chose the 350 amp, then I think this will sound great, tight and focused with a big low... and also pretty balanced
in that one cab will not be overdriven with around 175w per cab max...
Of course, you can't balance it anymore than the amp will do on its own accord
but the fact that you have a sensible amp match-up would suggest good results.

I think the 650 would put way more strain on the 210 with potentially 300 into it at full whack.
and that would be a LOT into a 210 bass cab and something I'd avoid, myself.

Interesting point about drowning out drummers. This is exactly what 15's do typically...they get the wrong sonic space and then control is all about volume so the sound does not sit... it over or underwhelms.

Keep a look out and ear for bass players with single 15's...you'll hear them and feel them, but to self mix in with a dynamic drummer is very hard to do over a couple of hours.
Unless the drummer and bass player is VERY discilplined they will lose the mix pretty easily and is compounded when the bass player insists he wants a BIG sound.
The only thing that might tidy it all up is if the drummer is right on the case with his kit tune and playing so HE cuts rather than the bass....but most players mix themselves and themselves only, so..??

I have the compact version of this, i'm currently running a GB 9.0 through Neo 110 and 112. They couple just fine, no problems with the sound and i've AB'ed them and can say that the voicing and power handling are almost identical, with both on it just sounds the same but with more headroom!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1336376574' post='1644521']

The 210 might rate around 400w whereas the 212 should be closer to 600watts with 8 ohms cabs..

[/quote]

The 212 is rated 600W 4 Ohm, the 210 is rated at 500W 4 Ohm, for what it's worth. Neither is available in 8 Ohm and the EBS HD350 happily runs at 2 Ohms.

I think Kiwi had one of each, might be worth giving him a shout.

I'm not sure what it would add. The 210 is slightly more portable, but the 212 is pretty good in that respect. For more noise (though I'm with borntobeloud on this one), the OP would probably do better to pick up another 212. These seem to be much more common than the 210, at least in the For Sale forum here.