Why become a member? ×

ThunderGut strings for Kala basses

bobpalt

Has anyone else tried these? I have just fitted a set to my Kala SUB U bass, and what a difference they have made after changing from the standard strings supplied with the bass!

They are white, and a bit thicker than the Kala strings, but a lot less "floppy" for want of a better word, far louder and robust in tone, and just easier to play. It doesnt look like they have anything like the tuning problems either. I am well impressed, and apart from a few problems fitting them (the E and A strings wouldnt quite fit in the locating holes in the bass, so I had to file the holes a bit bigger), would recommend them. I have a U Bass as well, but havent tried them on this yet, the SUB U being the little solid bodied model, but I'm sure they will fit fine, and are advertized by the makers (Aquilla) as being for all U Bass models.

£27 from BassDirect. Worth every penny!

• 1 month later...

I bought a set of Thunderguts at a Ukulele festival last week. I've had my Kala U-Bass for a few months (bought it second hand from a BC'er) but have to tune it up almost every time I play it. As a result, I must have trimmed about 2-3" off these strings in the time I've had it. The Aquila strings have required tuning, but nowhere near as much. I get the feeling they are stabilising earlier. They also feel 'better' although I can't really describe why, perhaps there's a bit more tension.

Acoustically, they sound a bit brighter, but through my amp they don't really sound any different to my untrained ears.
The only drawback is that they are a bit more 'sticky' when my fingers slide up the neck. Bearing in mind I'm new to bass playing, my lack of technique may be the reason for that..!!

Overall, I rate them higher than the stock strings, but whether they sound £27 better is a matter of taste.

I do know the U-Bass gets a lot of use. It's so easy to sit on the sofa and practise while Mrs Saint is watching the box. I can't do that with any other instrument I own!

Graham

Are these still polyurethene or latex or something else? I went over to pahoehoe strings on my Ashbory, so if these are better than the pahoehoe's for the kala, maybe they'd work on the ashbory as well?

If they're latex or any other stretch material I'd probably pass though. The original latex strings of the ashbory sound good, but go out of tune as soon as you look at them, they need talc - which can look a bit druggy when it goes everywhere. And the G strings break for no apparent reason so the black poly pahoehoe's were a massive improvement - especially when a Behringer ADI21 stompbox preamp/DI is used.

Has anyone tried the Pyramid strings? The vid makes the Ubass sound like a useable bass guitar. I do realise that this kind of defeats the object of having the pahoehoes (which I love), but I might have to get another for the pyramid strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JzF-5k0pog

• 1 month later...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1339709638' post='1693305']
Has anyone tried the Pyramid strings? The vid makes the Ubass sound like a useable bass guitar. I do realise that this kind of defeats the object of having the pahoehoes (which I love), but I might have to get another for the pyramid strings.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JzF-5k0pog[/media]
[/quote]

Very interested in these for when my ubass arrives! Had an Ashbory before and didnt like those white latex strings and all the talk - anyone used Pyramids yet?