Why become a member? ×

Identifying a Spector, without a picture

Jellyfish

Hello everyone. As someone who doesn't know anything about Spector's, I've come here asking for help. I played a fantastic bass today but only know that was a Spector. It had 2 EMG pickups, 4 control knobs, 4 strings (not much help!). It was neck-through, orange (or ginger as my friend called it) and had a maple (quilted? It had quite wide 'peaks') top. I didn't look much at the rest of the wood, but presume that the fretboard was rosewood?

I know that this isn't much to go on, but if it helps it was getting sold for £449 second hand. Cheers guys! :)

Could be one of many.

Neck thru indicates either a NS20004, Legend Custom, Euro or getting into the pricier USA made NS2/4 models.

The price at 449 sounds about right for a Legend Custom (it should have a stacked tone pot with mid adjustment if its one of these - ie 4 knobs but 5 adjustments possible).

If its a Euro (should say Made in Czech Republic on back of headstock) bite his arm off cos its about £1000 worth s/h.

Ive got an amber NS20004 - its a lot like the Legend Custom but only has bass and treble pots (no stacked mid).

Get the serial number and email PJ at Spectorbass.com - he's great at getting back with all the info you'll need.

Or pop a piccy up - theres a few people on here who will be able to help.

Heres mine - the amber one is an NS20004 and the natural is a Euro

Edited by Mudpup

You can 'almost' guarantee that if the shop haven't bothered labelling it, then it will be the cheapest NT model they do but they will be hoping that some poor sole will do the most basic of research and think that they are getting a bargain of a Euro (or similar) Spector.

I recall a shop some years back punting out a NT Spector that had no model designation, just a price and the guys in the shop kept alluding to the fact that it was the 'top of the range' Spector and that 'Spectors are made in the USA, you know' etc. I listened in to some of this patter being directed to a young bassist (with his Father who was looking to get him a quality bass) before feeling the need to step in and ask what the bass was 'specifically'! The shop assistants went all coy and elusive and I pressed them about their previous comments and asked if they were saying that it was a USA NS2... the manager/head sales honch came across and said that they had taken it in part-ex and didn't know which model it was as the back of the headstock had been sanded (REALLY, a shop would take in a bass in part-ex and give a value in ignorance of what it was... :blink: ). I pointed out some of the obvious indicators that it was a Euro, such as the body wood sandwich with the walnut spacer (luckily it wasn't one of the earlier EURO Spectors with the solid maple wings that looks even more similar to the USA NS2) and they said they'd take my advice on board and research further. So here was a used Spector bass for £1200; cheap for a USA NS2 but bloody expensive for a Euro. I'm not saying that the shop were strictly doing anything illegal (or that they had sanded the headstock) but as a bystander to the conversations they were certainly trying to hint that this was a USA bass without actually saying those words.