Why become a member? ×

Ovation Magnum 1.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

I am picking up a Ovation Magnum 1 tonight, anything to watch out for or any comments on its neck size etc?

Whats the best way to utilize its growl!

All I know about the bass is that its heavy and the neck pickup gives the perception it would be good for dub.

Cheers!

Rob.

Hi. B)

They are not really heavy, the neck has a nice round profile that is comfortable.
Not Jazz and not Tree Trunk, little bit beefier than a P.
The pick-up looks "Fat Humbucker" but is actually four small coils and not thuddy
like an old EBO.
Back one is bright and sounds like you are picking the strings close to the bridge,
if that makes sense!
Get some great sounds out of it - I run mine in Stereo, on the ocassions I can be
bothered to set it all up.

Nice bass, would be interested to know what you think of it.

This one is mine.
[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/ovation-magnum-bass.html"]http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/ovation-magnum-bass.html[/url]

Some pics when you get it??

Cheers. :)

I think the magnums are great, love mine. The front pickup is good for dub and alot more besides, it has individual screwdriver operated level controls for each string. Back pickup is a kind of humbucker. You can get a pretty wide range of sounds.

Since I saw Jah Wobble, play one a while back I have fancied one myself. They look superb. I saw Wobble turn the bass right up and then blew up an Ashdown amp with it.

Edited by daz

One thing to be aware of is that due to the bridge design some strings are not quite long enough, you can end up with the wrapped section being part of the speaking length, usually on the e string.

Good score Rob! Mine is my longest-serving keeper by some distance.

IMHO one of the best passive basses ever made with features way ahead of its time, and certainly one of the most under-appreciated.
Even if you don't bond you'll have no trouble selling on; these are getting pretty rare and desirable now.

Hey guys.

Well I got the bass in, there is a fair few issues. It's missing a part of the surround where its been sawed off! The string mute assembly is also missing. Probably not the sort of thing people have lying around spare! Frets look good, the sound is MASSIVE. Needs a damn good setup. Not sure what year it was made though.

Serial number is B00965.

Took a photo under the bridge and I am unsure what it actually says. However the pots look original they say 481007-A-98 and 1377811. The switch is pretty loose, it snaps back to the middle position shortly after I switch to the neck or the bridge pickup. Its an old style switch made with sandwiches of wood!

I may get my local Luthier to make a new surround or at least fill in the gaps with some ebony and a couple of issues may need sorting so I will likely not have the bass back for a while.