Why become a member? ×

mxr bass fuzz deluxe

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1335874557' post='1637285']
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~MXR-Bass-Fuzz-Deluxe-Pedal-M84~ID~17022.asp"]http://www.soundsliv...84~ID~17022.asp[/url]
Personally, I think it sounds like ass :P
[/quote]

too farty?

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1335881858' post='1637466']
too farty?
[/quote]

Hahaha... well... yeah! I dislike the separation between dry and wet sounds. it's like there's 2 basses in the band, one with a nice clean tone and another one in the background with a terrible cheap distortion sound. I prefer one bass only with a killer distorted tone ;)

This is from web demos only, but I consistently dislike them all the same way. I expected a lot from this pedal and am quite disappointed so far.

They say it's great that you keep your low end intact... But all that happens this way is that once the band comes in, your fuzz tone disappears under the hi-hat, cymbals and guitar and it sounds like your playing clean. There's a demo on youtube that shows exactly that...

for me it's exactly the controls and function I want from a single pedal, just depends on what the wet signal sounds like. Trying to simplify my setup.

I play with 2 super clean guitars, so the fuzz always seems to be present in the mix when it kicks in. Also my drummer doesn't use cymbals*.

[size=1]*he does[/size]

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1335883014' post='1637490']
... But all that happens this way is that once the band comes in, your fuzz tone disappears under the hi-hat, cymbals and guitar and it sounds like your playing clean. There's a demo on youtube that shows exactly that...
[/quote]
funnily enough, that's what happens with the mxr blowtorch too. pity, as it sounds good on it's own.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1335890685' post='1637647']
funnily enough, that's what happens with the mxr blowtorch too. pity, as it sounds good on it's own.
[/quote]

Interesting, I had one with me last week for a few days but returned it due to a weird phasing issue with my bass, I actually thought it would be good in a mix but never got to try it with my band...

I think it definitely has potential, never heard any bad reviews of it from actual owners. The whole issue with the blend sounding like two different sounds playing at the same time affects all fuzz pedals with a blend, but the sound meshes together more when you play with deader strings or put mild overdrive before or after it (or play into a tube amp). I think a blend is crucial to retain some dynamics in the sound rather than a 'fix' to try and retain more low end. The demos I've seen don't sound too great because he was using a really bright Jazz with the blend favouring the clean side.

My favourite fuzz (and I've tried a lot) is still the Bass Big Muff with the clean blend mod. The fuzz itself has more than enough low end, but I mix in a little bit of clean to give me more growl and dynamics when I dig in, and it all sounds blended together and natural. I reckon the MXR could pull off similar sounds when used right, plus it can get more raspier/synthier with the gain cranked.

^ that's exactly what I'm hoping for... I took the bass big muff on tour last week and it was pretty good, I just want more flexibility with wet/dry mix.

I currently use a Tym Big Bottom with a black russian big muff. The Big Bottom is an fx loop with wet/dry controls, but the dry element of the mix is only low frequencies, while the wet mix affects only the mid and high frequencies - it's a great sound, but I want something a bit quicker to plug into for hectic shows. Plus the loose chicken head knobs on the big muff are a nightmare, always being nudged out of place on small stages with leads and crap everywhere.

Edited by 1970

It's pretty simple to mod the BBM if you want more control over the wet/dry balance. I added a master volume control so I can have the regular volume at 2 or 3 o'clock to set the ratio how I want it then back off the overall volume with the new control: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/112212-bass-big-muff-volume-and-feedback-mods/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/112212-bass-big-muff-volume-and-feedback-mods/[/url]

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1336234705' post='1642943']
I've just tried one of these and left the shop with it! For someone that isn't hugely enamoured of fuzz, this is a departure for me!
I just need to try it in my rigs now :)
[/quote]

Interesting. Why did you like it so much?