Why become a member? ×

GK MB200 question

isteen

Hi everybody
I own a GK MB200 I really love. The tone is great, and it's real easy to drag around.
I play via a 15" cab - but I might want to get a bit more out of it, and I'm thinking of adding a 2x10" cab to it.
Unforetunately there is just one Speakon Output in the amp, but there is also a normal line out on the back of the amp.
Can I add an extra cab via the line out, or is the amp meant for just one cab?

[url="http://www.gallien.com/products_mb.html"]http://www.gallien.c...roducts_mb.html[/url]

You can't just add an extra speaker cab to the line out socket on the back of an amplifier - it won't do anything.

Your MB200 is capable of driving a 4Ω load, so [b]if[/b] your 1x15 is an 8Ω cab you can add another 8Ω cab to you rig.
If you're already running a 4Ω cab then you can't.

To link two cabs together you need at least one of the cabs to have two Speakon sockets on it - you just daisychain them.

I've been looking at getting one of these, looks perfect for what I want. If in the future i wanted to a more, could i get a second one and go from the line out of the first one to the regular input of the second one to run a second cab. Sorry if it's a bit of a numpty question, but i'm a bit clueless when it comes to amps.

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1335620037' post='1633802']
OK, I'm confused now as the post above says that the line out is to link to another amp or mixer. :scratch_one-s_head:
[/quote]

I think you're getting your terminology confused.

A combo is an amp and speaker combined - you 'could' connect that to a line out socket and it'd work.
You were talking about adding another speaker, a speaker is just a speaker and that won't work if you connect it to a line out socket.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1335621405' post='1633837']
I think you're getting your terminology confused.

A combo is an amp and speaker combined - you 'could' connect that to a line out socket and it'd work.
You were talking about adding another speaker, a speaker is just a speaker and that won't work if you connect it to a line out socket.
[/quote]

No, I understand all that, i was just confused by post #3.

[quote name='born to be loud' timestamp='1335622599' post='1633852']
The line out is to connect to a line level input on another amp or mixer. Say a power amp or an active cab. Its not to connect to the instrument level input on another amp.

Line level and instrument/mic level are different voltage. Line level is what you get out of an amp after the signal has been amplified by the pre-amp.
[/quote]
This was what i was after. It has all become clear.