Why become a member? ×

squier jazz; vintage modified or classic vibe?

barnettiuk

Looks or playing ?
The CV looks the business, but the VM's quality and Duncan Pick ups really steal the show, they give the bass the thump needed to be heard live.
I have had just about most Jazz basses made and two stand out.
The VM Jazz plays and sounds like a dream.
Or if you can stretch the Fender Mex 70's re-issue is the best of any Jazz bass I have ever seen or played, the pick ups are poor, but a quick swap to some duncans and for a budget you have a great Jazz bass.
But the dilemma, the CV looks the part, the VM does the part.
So make a choice, playing the VM, for keeps the CV.

Edited by vax2002

Not tried the CV but own the VM. The VM certainly punches well above its weight. Thinking of parting with mine (it has the VM '77 neck on it with the Pearl block inlays and white binding and the VM '70's natural body so it doesnt look as "OTT" as the standard VM 70's) as I have serious GAS for another Epiphone Thunderbird but I just cant bring meself to do it. Been like this for weeks! Feels quality, sounds quality.

Mine...

CV for me as well. Ive got both the P and Jazz. The big attraction for me was the necks and vintage style frets. You dont get many basses that have these at this, or double the price point.
Tone wise, well i cant really comment as ive changed the pups on both my basses but im not sure there would be a huge difference.

There are many, many posts about both ranges on here, but i feel i see more love for the CV's.

Both are great - but I prefer the larger frets and larger neck radius on the VMs. I think the CV radius is 7.5", whereas the VMs are 9.5".

I can either live with or without the glossy surface on the fretboard, it's a tossup there for me.

Sound-wise, I find them both to be excellent, however they are naturally somewhat different.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1335539762' post='1632904']
Actually both are 9.5".

I really must try one as i think other than the CV Jazz all the VM's look nicer.
[/quote]

I could swear that the one I tried - the CV - was a smaller radius. Ah well. I bought the VM because the frets were seriously smaller/shorter and I like the larger ones better.

But I still FEEL the CV had a smaller radius. Just me - maybe. It was uncomfortable anyway.

Ya know - I might have the neck on the CV confused with the Marcus - which I decidedly disliked although it is very good looking.

The only G.A.S I have at the mo is for a Reggie Hamilton, CS version!

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

I have a fretted CV and a fretless VM, both are great basses.
The build quality is very good on both instruments and the CV neck feels more like a pre CBS Fender than any other Jazz bass I've played.
The VM is also very nice and I'd like to try a fretted version.
The stock pick ups are good on both basses, they sound different but it's hard to explain in words - the CV sounds deeper and more 'hollow' is how I'd put it.
Preference is subjective - do you like thin or fat frets, satin or gloss necks, skunk stripe or not etc.
The CV is only available in white or blue with a rosewood board, where there is more choice with the VMs.
You really need to try both before deciding which one suits you best, but I prefer both mine to the Fender MIM Jazz I had and don't see much difference in the American Standards I've played.

But.... better than both and great value is the Farida FJB6 I recently bought from Dawsons for £150 new!
This is a seriously top class bass in it's own right, not a copy and an amazing bargain.
It was made in the same Chinese factory as the Squire CV, but the quality is even better.
The pick ups are clearer and more powerful than the Squiers and it feels great, with thin frets and a satin neck.
They have gone up in price now, but still well worth it, there's a good review here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169759-farida-fjb-6-bass-review/page__hl__farida"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169759-farida-fjb-6-bass-review/page__hl__farida [/url]

If I could only keep one, it would be the Farida and if I was buying another (highly likely) it will be one of the fretted VMs.

Hope some of this helps (all just my opinion obviously) and good luck.

Steve.