Why become a member? ×

Matching cabs Ashdown mag evo amp, quick advice please

Pinball

I have an Mag 300 Evo 11 amp and the chance of some 2nd hand cabs but am confused over cabinet choice.
Putting ohms asside because they seem fine (8 ohm). The output of the ashdown is 300watts but there are two jacks out. My guess is that this means it is 150w ber channel if both are used to a 200w or 250w cab would be fine. Am I right or heading for disaster?

Advice would be much appreciated.

Ed

Hi,

On the Ashdown website, their MAG 115 and 210 extension cabinets are rated at 250w so two 250w cabs should clearly be fine. I would also have thought that two 200w cabs should be fine but I'm sure someone will be along who can tell you this for sure.

Tom

Cool thanks, I have an old mystery peavy 15" cab that came with the amp and seems fine but am looking to add some 4x10 or 12". I have read the helpful thread explaining ohms but find the information on the various cab stats confusing. I don't want to buy something and then prompty damage it.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1335348873' post='1629541']
I have an Mag 300 Evo 11 amp and the chance of some 2nd hand cabs but am confused over cabinet choice.
Putting ohms asside because they seem fine (8 ohm). The output of the ashdown is 300watts but there are two jacks out. My guess is that this means it is 150w ber channel if both are used to a 200w or 250w cab would be fine. Am I right or heading for disaster?
[/quote]

Not quite right, but you're not heading for disaster.

I have the same amp and it does indeed have two jack outputs, BUT there is only one amp output 'channel'. The two output jacks are simply wired in parallel to make it easy to connect two cabs.

The amp is (from memory) 307W into 4 ohms. But you won't get that by plugging in a single 8ohm cab and a rough guide is that a 4ohm amp will output about 2/3rds the power into 8ohms, so about 200W in this case.

If you connect one 8-ohm cab the amp will drive it with about 200W.

If you connect two 8-ohm cabs then the amp will deliver about 300W split 50:50 between the cabs or about 150W each.

So, in all cases, 200-250W cabs will be fine and nothing will come to harm.

FWIW, I started off with 210 and 115 cabs but I later added another 210. This gives me the option to have a 410 stack arranged vertically (which is the supposed ideal) and having two cabs means for a lighter lift. Works for me.

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1335359736' post='1629796']
FWIW, I started off with 210 and 115 cabs but I later added another 210. This gives me the option to have a 410 stack arranged vertically (which is the supposed ideal) and having two cabs means for a lighter lift. Works for me.
[/quote]

This would be my suggestion. Either two 2x10's stacked vertically or two 1x15's stacked normally. I used Ashdown cabs for ages and the mix of 15s and 10s didn't do a great deal for me. Lots of loud but not much clarity. Both sounded far better on their own, but I hadn't yet unlearned that 15s are for bass and 10s are for mids and highs....

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1335365601' post='1629950']
but I hadn't yet unlearned that 15s are for bass and 10s are for mids and highs....
[/quote]
Hmm I get that and was making the mistake that I would get a better sound by mixing them. I guess that to get the purest sound I would be better with two identical cabs. The trouble is that now I need to decide if I go for 10's, 12's or 15's and I haven't got a signiture sound yet.....Hmmm I'm confused again!
Flyfishers option of 2x 210's is starting to sound appealing but I already have 1 Peavey 1x15 Peavy BW so getting another is the cheap option while I plan ahead.

Edited by Pinball

If you like the sound of the Peavey 115, getting another will give you more of the same.

The speaker diameter won't tell you much about the sound per se, as the cabinet design has such a big effect on the sound produced. Many manufacturers list their 4x10's as going lower than the matching 1x15 for instance (the specs are very often dubious, but they do give a clue as to the relative performance of the cabs when coming from the same manufacturer).

The barefaced site is very good for explaining the technical stuff - http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/speaker-size-frequency-response.htm