Why become a member? ×

Massive Bass D.I. shootout with Tony Levin

51m0n

Surely only the end listener needs the critical listening environment?

The only requirement of the magazine is to have the bandwidth available to host decent quality audio files.

Still not entirely convinced of its usefulness. It requires you to be a fan of the initial chosen bass tone and there doesn't appear to be a baseline reference to judge the DI boxes against.

The people putting together a comparison need to have a decent enough studio to do the job, which requires a decent listening environment. If you read whats going on the different takes are within a db or so of each other (which requires one hell of a player to do it 13 times over or so).

You cant do a baseline reference here, unless you have the same signal chain, bass, player, and your own intimitely known D.I to put in the list.

What this does give is an idea as to the differences between the DI's used, their relative sonic attributes. Initial bass tone is not relevant to that particularly.

If you read the original post they do point out there is no winner in this list, its not about finding the best its about enlightening you to the differences that these DIs bring against a real bass signal.

The list is wide enough in the world of real quality DI's that it is quite likely that were you an engineer (ie the intended target audience) you would have come across at least one or two of the pieces in the list yourself, which would help you make an even better call about the results.

This stuff is highly subjective, and from the point of the engineers doing it a good solid generic bass tone is what you want, and listening to it thats what I think they got.