Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF -115HE

The Burpster

So I'm looking for something new and a bit different (typical me!), and I have no idea if this has been done before but would be interested to know if anyone has done this or used alternative to those suggested by Ampeg.

What I am thinking of doing is trying to shoe horn an SVT 3 Pro or SVT 7 Pro onto the top of a PF 115HE.
I know it designed and has fixings for the PF 350 & 500 but (from the info I can find) it looks like to would 'just' handle a 2u sized amp if correctly fitted to to the lid and still be able to stow it for transport.

Has anybody else attempted this?

Does anyone have one of these cabs that can measure the opeing at the top for me please?

The Ampeg site is pretty unhelpful, but my next options are to try and find a retailer that has most of the Ampeg range in so that I can try it and/or ring Ampeg and ask their techies.....

Bob, check out issue 9 of Guitar Interactive Magazine when it comes out :) - I reviewed the cab and the PF350. www.iGuitarMag.com Sadly we haven't got any dimensions for you, but I think we have some good shots of the insides. You might be able to guess the inside front to back measurement by taking the outside measurement and subtracting the thickness off the cabinet walls. so, 2x18mm. I think the main problem would be the height of the amp. It could get in the way of either the tweeter or back of the woofer when you try to lower the lid.

I loved the idea though, as you will see in my review!! - Current issue is 8, so 9 isn't out yet. (it's free to read, by the way)

Fanx Dood (BTW good to speak again!),

Your point about depth is my major concern however the PF500 is 3" deep (according to Ampeg) and a 2U SVT 3-PRO is 3.5" deep..... now I know that the ladies on here say that that 1/2" makes all the difference, but my guess is, that as I want to change the Eminence ceramic for a Neo Celestion it will open up more space......

I will read the review when its out as I really like this idea and, will if I need get one of the class D PFs but would like it to be stand alone with the valve preamp rather than run a pedal (which I do with my current practice set up..)

Hmmmm seriously looking at a PF 500 now and using the DHA VT1 to 'dirty it up' a bit like I do with my current practice rig......then get the same tone all the time..

Then add a 2x10 if I need to damage properties. :gas:

Anyone got PF 115HE and a PF 500 ?

Edited by The Burpster

I've got the PF500 and PF115HE combination and it's awesome. Truck loads of depth and all the detail you want with the horn. The 500 is a great amp and has all the facilities you'd want (and a couple I don't).

I didn't buy it to gig with but will be using it at smaller venues but suspect it could do most pub gigs certainly. Very happy with it. I did have an issue with the 350 that went before but the shop I bought it from changed it without question and I upgraded (150 extra watts for 15 quid).

I have thought about a Walkabout head bolted to the lid so I know where you';re coming from. I can do some measuring if you want.

This is why I love this comunity....

Steve that would be fantastic - I can then make an informed decision before buying as finding somewhere local with them in stock is not gonna happen...!

the diemensions I need are (for the open oriffice at the top with the flip lid removed)

Depth =front to back

Width = left to right

Height = the amount of linear access from the open lid level to the highest part of the speaker can (at the front) and the tweeter control inlet (at the rear)

If you've thought of sticking the Walkabout in there you'll know what I need and which tree I'm barking up.

Interestingly the tone of the Walkabout is what I'm after, if I cant get an amp with a 12AX7 pre amp tube in there I'm going down the PF500 route with run through the DHA VT1 ...... Dont s'pose you'd need one with the [b]Bass[/b] 400, however is that something you've tried.....(ie running the PF 500 with a valve preamp in the effects loop) ??????

I'll get the dimensions you need posted as soon as I can (probably tomorrow I'm afraid).

I haven't used the amp in any way other than standard yet but I have thought about bunging the 400 through it. I suspect it'll sound every bit as good as I imagine it will.

I think your intended combination sounds excellent. I'll confess I was not a fan of combo amps (or single speaker set ups) at all but this has converted me completely - for rehearsal and recording at any rate. I can't think that anything will match my main rig (which is in the process of including a second Boogie 400) but the Ampeg 1x15 is a truly wonderful bit of kit.

Right, been at it with the tape measure.

Aperture at the top is 17.5" across and 11.5" front to back. The difficult bit is that you have no more than 3" down to the top of the horn's magnet. The PF500 top must be a millimetre or two away from it when it's stowed. I would think the 350 is narrow enough to be free (but it's no bigger).

Not very good news I suspect but if a died in the wool valve man like me can be very impressed with the PF500 you could do yourself a big favour and give it a go and see what you think. The price is amazing if nothing else!!

Anything else I can do to help just shout.