Why become a member? ×

Cleaning up my new aquisition

slazman

Got my Fender Jaguar this week after a few weeks of searching for a nice pre-loved one - its in great condition but none the less I feel the need to give it a clean up.

Any tips here - particularly cleaning the fretboard which has the pearloid block inlays. I would normally use Lemon Oil.

Lem-oil for any fretboard (apart from maple!), and whenever I re-string these days I always give the frets a quick once over with Planet Waves Fret Polishing System. Really helps to keep the frets tip-top! If you've got any decent car polish kicking about, it should be fine for the paintwork too.

I have in the past cleand some seriously dirty and greasy guitars
Keep in mind I am no pro restaurateur, but my experience was:
for the real hefty greasy dirt (if there is) yes use soap + water
and soft side of a sponge and elbow grease. I make sure though
that the water would not sink into the wood so I always wipe it dry
with lots of tissue straight after. When the dirt is gone, I re-moister
the finger/fretboard using a nice oil from the local wind instrument
shop that they use for recorders (they have a whole shelf ful of
differnt oils there but it's pretty much a question of smell+taste,
apart form the purity, of the oil). Not much oil needed, much better
to do a little and wait a little and if needed, do it again. This method
worked multiple times for me.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1335081800' post='1625393']
Lem-oil for any fretboard (apart from maple!), and whenever I re-string these days I always give the frets a quick once over with Planet Waves Fret Polishing System. Really helps to keep the frets tip-top! If you've got any decent car polish kicking about, it should be fine for the paintwork too.
[/quote]

What are you using on maple, out of interest?

Of course, in the long tradition of [i]ask three bass players, get five answers[/i], another player told me never to use Lemon Oil on Rosewood - instead, Linseed Oil should be used.

Make of that what you will.

I've used a combination of the following before:

- Wire wool, to remove gunk (sweat residue, general dirt, decaying lacquer)
- Cocktail sticks (to get in along the frets)
- Fret polish (gotta have some bling)
- A cleaning oil... be it Lemon, Linseed or other, as per your preferences

Car polish can work, but be careful of abrasive polishes on some finishes. Mindst you, the Jaq will likely have a clear finish as the top coat, so it's probably just a case of wiping that and buffing to a shine, using a clear polish as appropriate.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335137250' post='1626334']

What are you using on maple, out of interest?

Of course, in the long tradition of [i]ask three bass players, get five answers[/i], another player told me never to use Lemon Oil on Rosewood - instead, Linseed Oil should be used.

Make of that what you will.

I've used a combination of the following before:

- Wire wool, to remove gunk (sweat residue, general dirt, decaying lacquer)
- Cocktail sticks (to get in along the frets)
- Fret polish (gotta have some bling)
- A cleaning oil... be it Lemon, Linseed or other, as per your preferences

Car polish can work, but be careful of abrasive polishes on some finishes. Mindst you, the Jaq will likely have a clear finish as the top coat, so it's probably just a case of wiping that and buffing to a shine, using a clear polish as appropriate.
[/quote]

You don't want to use anything much on maple if you can help it, except a clean dry cloth. If you've got some "gunk" of some sort on there, I'd try gently rubbing it with an alcohol wipe. You really don't want to use any type of oil because of it gets under the finish/laquer anywhere (usually where the frets are seated), it's a downward spiral. Apart from having marks/stains that you can't get rid of, it'll start to lift the finish.

I really wouldn't use linseed oil, as it is thicker than lemon oil and will actually leave a shiny coating (almost like a fine varnish) on the fretboard, although maybe some folk like that. People use it on cricket bats! Apart from being good for cleaning the surface, Lem-oil is very, very thin, and is really there to penetrate into the fretboard and keep the wood moisturised and protected from your sweat, etc.

Wouldn't wire wool be really abrade the finish!? On really gunky guitars, I've used either lem-oil or alcohol wipes (whichever is most appropriate) and a medium plectrum to get it off! :D

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1335138225' post='1626344']
Wouldn't wire wool be really abrade the finish!? On really gunky guitars, I've used either lem-oil or alcohol wipes (whichever is most appropriate) and a medium plectrum to get it off! :D
[/quote]

No, not if you're sensible - if you're using it like sandpaper, then yes; you'll get out what you put in. A light scrub will simply remove the dirt. You'll find it's quite a common recommendation on this forum. I wish I had more before-and-after pictures to show you the difference it can make.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335171986' post='1626503']

No, not if you're sensible - if you're using it like sandpaper, then yes; you'll get out what you put in. A light scrub will simply remove the dirt. You'll find it's quite a common recommendation on this forum. I wish I had more before-and-after pictures to shour you the difference it can make.
[/quote]

I'd be happier using an old toothbrush instead of wire wool!