Why become a member? ×

FEELER - 1983 Rickenbacker 4003 - white - MAYBE SOLD - ON HOLD

Mylkinut

Ahoy,

Here we have a 1983 Rickenbacker 4003 in white, all original and with the original case. I bought it this time last year and whilst I like it, I'm not sure it's for me. If it's got the interest I'll sell or trade... if not no biggie.

It's a bit of a rare one. Being an early 4003 it's got reversed trussrods and a split pickguard to access them. At this time they were also fitting two extra screws to the bridge to stop tail-lift, so no tail-lift! It's quirky in being one of the ones that came from the factory with the 70s-style wavy Grover tuners - apparently Ric ran out of their regular sets around this time so used surplus ones they had hanging around. Some mention having problems with these old Grovers, but the ones on mine are all perfect. It's also white, for extra cool points.

It's coming up to its 30th birthday and it's in pretty good condition. The chap who had it before me (guitarist) barely played it. He'd bought it from a shop in the States 10 years before and it's spent all of those 10 years in the case. The white's mellowed to a nice cream and all the electronics work perfectly. Neck is straight, no issues with the binding, tuners all work brilliantly, mucho life left in the frets, all good.

The only things worth mentioning condition-wise is that there's some light checking/cracks in the finish on the two horns and on the fretboard laquer at the dusty end. You can't feel them if you run your finger over them, so it's just mojo. There's also a bit of laquer missing below the E-string near the 4th fret. It's about half the size of a finger nail and you can't feel it when playing. The only other thing is the sticker for the 'Bass-tone' knob is missing - I may replace it just to tidy up the looks (obviously if I do I'll include the original knob in the sale). I've included pictures of all the damage so you can take a peak :)

Must point out that it really needs a set-up, but chances are you'd get it set up to your own specs if you wanted it anyway. No luthiers near me are very confident with Rics and since I don't gig this thing and it's playable, I've not worried.

Price-wise, I'd be looking for £1250 but would be open to sensible offers. I'd also be happy to trade, preferably with money my way - things that'd tickle my fancy would be a T-40, a nice Yammy BB, maybe a nice Jazz... I like my basses to have 4-strings, traditional looks and passive electronics if that helps :D. If nothing comes along I'm happy to hold onto it, but it's just not getting played.

I'm based in Southampton, but can move around by train if needs be. The case is tatty but functional - I've not decided if I'd be happy posting it but we'll see.

And now, smut:

EDIT - This may be sold! Have a chap coming round to have a look this week, so it's on hold until then :D

Edited by Mylkinut

Whats the problem with the set up, can you be more specific ? is the neck convex out or is it just untidy to play, these are these hardest bar none of the Rick Range to set up, it can be done, but requires 3 people, a 1 meter metal ruler and a torque wrench.

Just a little messy to play is all. Like I said, the neck on it is straight and stable. Like I also said, there's nobody near me with the experience to set this one up - as you say it isn't easy. I've found plenty of people who could but they're all a little far from home (I don't own a car)