Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Behringer V tone vs DHA VT1

horrorshowbass

First of all, this isn't one of the countless "which valve/tube emulation pedal is for me?" threads, ive read them all! :)
Its more of a question of why, after loads of research,I can't hear the lovely sounds fellow basschatters and talkbassers hear and describe from their pedals. Ive owned a behringer bass di v tone (sansamp BDDI in a plastic box), Sansamp VT bass and Dave Hall VT1, all in search of that lovely tubey, bit of grind/dirt sound. I did a LOT of research (when i should have been playing bass :) ) and bought a Behringer (its a cheap DI after all, even if its crap, i thought).
I LOVED the sound the Behringer gave me, even tho i heard it scooped mids, it sounds great to my ears, live and in the bedroom practicing.
Ive since bought a VT bass and a DHA VT1 and i just can't get the same sounds, they seem to be too subtle to my ears and don't give the bass sound the same ballsy agression as the Behringer !!!!!
Am I eartarded? I know there are rave reviews all over the net for all three of these tube type pedals but I can't seem to coax the same sounds out of my DHA VT or VT bass.
I sold the VT bass and im very close to doing the same with the DHA VT1. I know my amp isn't great ( cheap ass Behringer Combo) but that shouldn't effect the sound THAT much should it?

The Behringers are great little units. I`ve got the BDI21, which cost about £30. I prefer it to the Sansamp and the DHA VT1, both of which I`ve had, and the MXR M80, which I`m currently selling. Yes, the build quality isn`t as good as those, but I rate it with my ears, and they prefer the humble Behringer. Others may not, but I do. I also used it for recording, and the tone is just great - real nice warm Ampeggy tone.

Edited by Lozz196

The VT1 is very subtle. I use it with solid state amps to add a bit of grind and add tube warmth but it doesn't go much past that, even when cranked. It's a great and useful sound but not what I, and I imagine a lot of people, expect from a drive pedal.

I realise I could probably get a more versatile pedal but I like the VT1 sound and they're made in the UK rather than mass produced and I'd rather support a small business.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1334948984' post='1624056']
The VT1 is very subtle. I use it with solid state amps to add a bit of grind and add tube warmth but it doesn't go much past that, even when cranked. It's a great and useful sound but not what I, and I imagine a lot of people, expect from a drive pedal.

I realise I could probably get a more versatile pedal but I like the VT1 sound and they're made in the UK rather than mass produced and I'd rather support a small business.
[/quote]
yeah Daves a top bloke, theyre awesome sounding pedals, look great too!