Why become a member? ×

loud cranked heads mashup thread

analogrowl

Hi again,

Well basicaly this topic is dedicated to loud cranked overdriven doom or stoner sound. Killing rig setup, you ever ever heard in live ?

I'm from france, actually there're some vintage stuff for sale's second hand (ampeg blue and black line svt heads with matching fridge, sunn 1200s & 300t, hiwatt custom 200...) as well as modern heads that looks promising too. So i'm considering going for something bigger than my actual set-up (svt-pro 3 with 4x10hlf made in US for both), i mean add some stuff (heads and cab) to that rig.

Would you guys, go for something that vintage as an old SVT from the 70 (the blue line is actually a bit too pricey, but i think i can get a good price from the black one),sunn 300t (a 1200s is for sale too), hiwatt custom 200?

Or would you go for 2 or 3 different (less powerfull) heads like ampeg-v4b with a sovtek mig 100 or a fender bassman 135 ?

Or would you go for modern heads like orange, ashdown, eden, markbass and the like ? I don't the f***ing reason why but those aren't appealing for me (except orange or matamp) not sure that would fit my sound.

If you had my setup, what cabs would you add to give it more balls ? I also use line level analog synth that have do some balls (Moog bass) in amps and ha well i do have some really nice DIY fuzz pedals that blend with clean tone to have that actually cranked sound.

I'm asking this because i think it's hard to crank a 300watt full valve head in small venue unless you are completely dumb, or you could use a powerbrake box but that's ain't good for the valves. On the contrary you could easily crank a 100watt head for the overdriven sound and keep the one for the clean sound. Well i'm a bit confused and need direction from experienced guys before go and try.

With my bands we'll start serious gig and maybe tour soon so i really need something that rocks. Sound is 50% of what our music is, we do it simple but we want it to sound just amazing (that's a counterpart of having a drummer that's also a sound engineer).

Bless,
Regards.

There are tons of British amps that will do it. If you want cranked sounds, you need an amp that can be cranked, the stuff you have named is mass produced American stuff that is made to be clean and cheap, which will tend it towards exploding when pushed hard enough to really filth up.

I'm into loud cab and not so powerful heads for the purpose at current, 200w valve head is the biggest I sue and that is still pretty clean at audience backing away from stage volume, I dual amp and my cranked filth amp is 70w on the outside (two KT77), mildly grindy lows amp is twice that. But I have loud cabs, a Barefaced super 15 and a 4x12 guitar cab.

The ideal thing to buy is the Hiwatt bass 100 that Umph has going. That's sort of tempting me, but I have over 30 heads at the last count, and nearly got to the point where most are working.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334577640' post='1617832']
There are tons of British amps that will do it. If you want cranked sounds, you need an amp that can be cranked, the stuff you have named is mass produced American stuff that is made to be clean and cheap, which will tend it towards exploding when pushed hard enough to really filth up.

I'm into loud cab and not so powerful heads for the purpose at current, 200w valve head is the biggest I sue and that is still pretty clean at audience backing away from stage volume, I dual amp and my cranked filth amp is 70w on the outside (two KT77), mildly grindy lows amp is twice that. But I have loud cabs, a Barefaced super 15 and a 4x12 guitar cab.

The ideal thing to buy is the Hiwatt bass 100 that Umph has going. That's sort of tempting me, but I have over 30 heads at the last count, and nearly got to the point where most are working.
[/quote]

When they all are you should hook them ALL up and pull out a decibel meter :D

you can book me for gigs. Actually I'm totally short on cabs to do stuff like that. For ridiculous numbers of amps and SPL (and total lack of musicality), check out Pombagira, they seem to gig quite a lot. They basically push the loads of amps envelope, I've never used more than two at once since I need some definition as I try and actually play a bit of a tune.

[quote name='analogrowl' timestamp='1334571830' post='1617657']
Yup but i do fear that sunn is just so trendy since sunn o))) cast a light on this brand and are overpriced. This one is at the same price as a new ampeg SVT-VR so that sounds ok to me.
[/quote]

yes true, they tend to be overpriced. but they definitely do the sound well.

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1334584322' post='1617996']
yes true, they tend to be overpriced. but they definitely do the sound well.
[/quote]

Bear in mind the 300T is pretty much unrelated to the Sunn stuff of classic fame. Good amp, but fiddly pre, not crude filth monster.

I would probably get a Laney, Sound City, Hiwatt, maybe even a Marshall JCM 800 bass series type thing as they don't seem to be going for high prices second hand compared to Orange, Sunn, Trace Elliot V series or Matamp.

Ideally I'd like a Matamp, but like Sunn and Orange their ubiquitous nature at stoner/doom gigs actually puts me off getting one a little bit. No doubt the amps are great (especially Matamp and Sunn) but you can pull off stoner/doom gigs without them, or even an all valve bass rig. The valve rig does make the experience more fun though!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334596897' post='1618290']
Matamp are pretty much a different league to Sunn quality wise mind. Check link in sig, as I have a ton of amps that are suitable for these things, some of which can sell, but mostly to give you a general idea of what can work for the purpose.
[/quote]

Mmmmm Laney Klipp. Great amps.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1334610314' post='1618627']
Mmmmm Laney Klipp. Great amps.
[/quote]

Definite theme of being exploded among the ones I've seen though. Think they were a bit tight on the filter caps or had supply issues, seem solid enough once it is all sorted though. The eating valves rep might also be down to maintenance issues, they don't seem to be doing anything that unusual.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334610855' post='1618640']
Definite theme of being exploded among the ones I've seen though. Think they were a bit tight on the filter caps or had supply issues, seem solid enough once it is all sorted though. The eating valves rep might also be down to maintenance issues, they don't seem to be doing anything that unusual.
[/quote]

I didn't know the exploding reputation, though I've never had experience with them for longer than an hour or two so not long enough to be familiar with faults etc. Long enough to turn me off the newer Ampeg SVT Classics though!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334596897' post='1618290']
Matamp are pretty much a different league to Sunn quality wise mind. Check link in sig, as I have a ton of amps that are suitable for these things, some of which can sell, but mostly to give you a general idea of what can work for the purpose.
[/quote]

cool blog man, but you should tag your posts by make / model / tube etc then have a labels menu! would make browsing hella easy.

• 6 months later...

Carvin B1500 might be what you're after. 1900 watts into 2 ohms if you want the volume but can also sound great at low volumes as well thanks to the drive knob. Does a pretty good valve simulation type sound. There's one for sale on here at the moment. Did I mention that it's mine.