Why become a member? ×

First try-out for TC rig

Rowley Birkin QC

Just had my first proper try out of a new (to me) rig. First time I've played it "in anger" since I picked it up of "Northwing" bc'er last weekend.

TC Electronics classic 450 head, RS 2x10 cab & RS 1x12 cab.

Gobsmacked!

I'm absolutely delighted with the sound of this rig. More than enough volume to cut through and the 1x12 certainly gives it some bottom end along with plenty of clarity. Plus, it's the first time I've carried, with ease, both bass cabs to and from the car at the same time. :)

All in all, a stunning sound from such a compact rig. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm over the moon with it.

Just thought I'd share this for anyone considering buying similar equipment.

Edited by Rowley Birkin QC

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1334426650' post='1616146']
Im thinking about getting an RS112 to add to mine... would you recommend that then?
[/quote]

It's always fraught with danger making recommendations (like recommending your favourite restaurant to someone, who then doesn't like it), but for me there were several considerations. I've always used a 2x10 with a 1x15 before, but they were always heavy, bulky cabs and I needed something smaller and lighter (due to age and lots of things beginning to hurt now) but without sacrificing sound quality. I took a bit of a punt on this rig but had done some research which, for me, made it less of a risk. I tried Northwing's pair of RS 2x10's before I purchased and they sounded terrific, however, I took the plunge and only took one of the 2x10's as DV247 had got a 1x12 RS cab on offer (a customer return which, to be honest, could have passed for an unopened one in every way) for £248 delivered. Now, it could be a lot to do with the Jazz bass I was putting through it and the setting I had on the East J-Retro 1, but I was able to get some fantastically clear highs combined with a bottom end that I felt through the floor, without any hint of distortion, and all that at nowhere near full volume. I haven't finished "tweaking" the sound yet, but, for the sound I was looking for, the combination appears to be ideal.

Edited by Rowley Birkin QC

I've the exact rig and have been very pleased with it. The 450 head and 2x10 on its own sound great and has plenty of volume for smaller gigs. Adding the 1x12 really adds to the sound. I leave the 1x12 at our practice venue and just take it to larger gigs...