Why become a member? ×

Just been on the receiving end of some excellent customer care

gary mac

Last week I mentioned in someone elses thread about a problem I had experienced when fitting a set of D'Addario flatwounds.
All was going well until attempting to tune the G. It just wouldn't tune up, kept slipping and eventually after a few atttempst the last 20 mm or so snappped.

I was feeling quite glum about it, because my girls had got them for me as a birthday pressie and at £30, not cheap.

Another BC'er suggested that I contact D'Addario, which I did via e mail.

Anyway Elaine Smith from sales/marketing replied in double quick time, informing me that they couldnt supply me with a single string but would I be happy with a replacement set and a T shirt for my inconvenience.

The Bass world does seemed to be blessed with some very good companies, who seem to excell at customer care.

If there is a Bass Chat list of companies that have shown great customer care, then I nominate D'Addario to be added.

I've recently turned onto D'Addario after using DR strings for quite some time and they are absolutely brilliant. I know a few Techs/Luthiers who won't use any other strings. Probably the most "Consistent" strings I've used. Not had a bad set/string at all. Although to be fair to DR, when I had a duff string they sent me a single free of charge, and because it took so long to turn up, they actually sent me another full set, which I thought was fantastic of them.

Same for me Higgie, I've been using DR strings for the last couple of years. This is my first purchase of flats, although one of my P basses came with flats on.

Update Still haven't got the new flats on< I didnt notice until I had trimmed the G and started winding it on that I hsve been sent a medium scale set. :(

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1334390925' post='1615463']
That's yet another example of great service! Seems to be a lot of it about recently :)

What a massive pain about the replacement set being Medium gauge! I'd feel so awkward informing them of the mistake!
[/quote]
Yes I was a bit :blush: .

But instead of making me feel like a prize pillock, Elaine at D'addario apologised for the mistake and has sent me out another set.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1334393292' post='1615491']

Yes I was a bit :blush: .

But instead of making me feel like a prize pillock, Elaine at D'addario apologised for the mistake and has sent me out another set.
[/quote]

That's awesome, poor Elaine I bet she was so embarrassed!

So on the third attempt and after much help, patience and support from Elaine at D'Addarioin, I have finally succeeded in fitting the strings, thankfully it was worth persevering. They not only do they sound damn fine, they feel so silky smooth to the touch.

I know that a lot of players beliieve that flats are only good for thud and thump but that is certainly not the case with these, there is brilliant definition, plenty of oomph and enough brightness to make me very happy (not a very technical appraisal, :unsure: sorry) .

Looking forward to gigging them in the not too distant.

I spent quite a few years working in musical instrument retail and those folks at d'addario know how to look after their customers. There's some really terrible distributors out there that cause problems with ridiculous delivery times and poor stock quantities at their warehouses, but in 4 years of dealing with D'Addario (and their previous distribution company) they delivered next day without fail and almost always had their entire catalogue in stock. Really nice bunch of people too :)